[3830] NAQP CW NO5W Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW NO5W Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 08:21:22 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: NO5W
Operator(s): NO5W
Station: NO5W

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

  160:
   80:  140
   40:  113
   20:  256
   15:   70
   10:    4
-------------------
Total:  583   157  Total Score = 91,531

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: CTDXCC Habaneros

Comments:

K3/100, 5 inverted vees @25 ft, CQ/X logging software

The NAQP-CW is always fun and one of my favorite contests, especially the
January version since the lack of scheduling conflicts allows me to focus
entirely on the contest. Well, you can see I lost focus a bit missing a half
hour of the available time because when I took my last half hour break around
0430Z it turned into a full hour due to my taking a horizontal position on the
couch.

If it hadn't been for that little misnap I would have probably reached my goal
of 600 Qs and maybe even reached 100K points. As it turned out this is my
personal best in the NAQP-CW beating my previous best by 32% primarily due to a
28% increase in mults and only 20 additional Qs. Conditions were excellent here
and participation seemed to be really good with a lot of unfamiliar calls
appearing in the log. Prior to the contest I was concerned that the forecasted
storms on Saturday night might put a damper on my operation but fortunately
they held off until Sunday morning and only caused some light static crashes on
80m toward the end.

When I went to 40m for the first time at 0100Z my first thought was "what a
zoo" with 7040 and above occupied completely by RTTY and NAQP squeezed into the
lower portion all the way down to the band edge. However, 40m turned out to be
a pleasant surprise as I had some of my best S&P rates on that band with
stations generally responding on my first call. A few CQs and some listening
were tried up above 7100 but there was nothing there except a few RTTY
stations.

Thanks for the Qs,

73/Chuck/NO5W