[3830] RTTY Roundup VA7ST Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup VA7ST Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 18:24:59 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

------------
   80:   34
   40:   76
   20:  260
   15:   68
   10:
------------
Total:  438  State/Prov = 48  Countries = 21  Total Score = 30,222

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Gear:
* FT-2000
* N1MM + MMTTY
* 80M phased elevated verticals x 2
* 40M Steppir dipole at 27'
* 3 ele. Steppir at 27'

2011: Flux: 85  | Ap:  5  | Kp: 5
2010: Flux: 78  | Ap:  0  | Kp: 1
2009: Flux: 70  | Ap: 10  | Kp: 1
2008: Flux: 79  | Ap: 14  | Kp: 3

Concentrated on NAQP CW for the first 12 hours, and got on after the first 13
hours of Roundup. Ended up with about half the Qs and score I would have aimed
for if I'd run RTTY full-time. Not so bad, considering I only managed 9.5 hours
for Roundup.

10M: Dead here.

15m: Pretty good to more than just W4. South America offered a few DX mults,
too. VP8NO is always a great surprise.

20M: European opening on Sunday morning was very poor when I got on at 1600z
Sunday. Hoped it would firm up, but it never did so I went to uncrowded 15M and
ran domestic Qs for 1.5 hours before getting stuck into 20M mode (i.e. tight
filtering, parked up in the nosebleed section above 14.110).

Sunday afternoon I ventured into kilowatt alley and found a spot to run. Found
the Steppir bi-directional mode worked well to keep rate going with JAs and Ws
at the same time. With only about 50W in either direction, I had a few
attempted hijackings (nary a no-QRL?), but flipping the beam back to 110
degrees soon reclaimed the slot. I wasn't loud enough to keep the slot clear,
but the steady run of big signals calling in sure were :)

40M: Good on Sunday afternoon. Not very busy late Saturday night.

80M: Good conditions, but not many on by the time I got going at 0715z.

Very great fun -- thanks to everyone for the contacts.

-- Bud VA7ST
http://www.orcadxcc.org
http://www3.telus.net

        Band    QSOs    Pts  Sec   Cty