[3830] NAQP SSB VA7ST Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB VA7ST Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 10:20:04 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 5

  160:    2     2
   80:   14    11
   40:    8     8
   20:   75    34
   15:   93    24
   10:
-------------------
Total:  192    79  Total Score = 15,168

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

I managed just 5 hours on. Had fun despite the poor results.

The best part of the day was the first hour, with 15M open nicely. Managed 93
for 24 mults, but I spent two hours gathering them. First Q was at 1830z, so I
missed the much-cited but brief opening on 10M at the very start. I heard part
of one callsign on 10M but that was all.

20M was very poor from out here. Tried to run, but only had 75 Qs after a
couple of hours.

40M never really felt open at all. With the same Steppir dipole that landed 157
Qs and 40 mults last weekend, I managed just 8 for 8 this time. Very
disappointing.

75M was almost as bad. 14 for 11 there. Figure part of that failing is the 80M
vertical array starved for oxygen about 200 khz higher than its design
frequency.

Managed OR and CA on 160M but didn't hear any WA, which is usually solid as a
landline. Hope for better performance in CQ 160M. With the inverted-L phased
against the short Beverage, the band was very, very quiet here -- heard the
East coast and Midwest remarkably well, but couldn't get a QRZ? out of them.
ERP must be in the QRP range.

Thanks to all for the Qs.

-- Bud VA7ST

http://www.orcadxcc.org
http://www3.telus.net

2011 January:  192    79   15,168 -- 5 hrs
2010 January:  260    71   18,460 -- 5 hrs
2009 January:  270    92   24,840 -- 6 hrs
2008 January:   25    19      475 -- 1 hr