[3830] BARTG Sprint K4GMH SO Expert HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4gmh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] BARTG Sprint K4GMH SO Expert HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 08:00:06 -0800
                    BARTG RTTY Sprint

Call: K4GMH
Operator(s): K4GMH
Station: K4GMH

Class: SO Expert HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 6
Radios: SO2R

   80:  122  122
   40:   91   91
   20:  227  227
   15:  236  236
   10:    0    0
-----------------
Total:  676  676  Mults = 74  Total Score = 275,808

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thank you BARTG for sponsoring the Sprint.  Thanks to all who were kind enough
to work me.

Unfortunately, only able to put in a limited amount of BIC time.  Family
commitments and too many grandkids soccer and basketball games for one
weekend.

Bands: 20/15 m was in good shape when the contest started.  Fifteen opened to
Europe - North Africa with EA8OM's booming signal heard and worked at 1225Z.
Twenty was open to Europe at the start of the Contest.  Good activity and
conditions was experienced on both bands until the first of the grandchildren
showed up for the weekend activities approx. 1600Z.

Next chance to get back in the Contests was after 0400Z.  The propagation on
forty seemed down as far as getting into Europe.  It must have been too long as
A61BK was as loud as any European station.  Same for several Asiatic Russian
stations.  Eighty propagation was good as Europe and the USA West Coast were
equally as strong.  The day's activities had there effect on me as by 0630Z I
couldn't stay awake.

More first time stations in a RTTY contest (to me anyway) were worked.  Welcome
to RTTY contesting.  Always a pleasure to work you both in and outside a
contest.

Did have a bad experience on 80 as kept getting a message saying I and others
were operating in the weak signal area.  At the end of the message they would
let us know what they thought of us - "....you simple s***s".  Of course the
person never signed his call at the end this message.  The message started
after I had been operating on the freq. for almost an hour.  No way was I going
to move after receiving such an obnoxious message.  A "Pse QSY, freq. in use de
XXXXX", or if I had heard another signal on the freq. in a QSO or calling CQ
when I started operating on the freq. and I would have moved off.
Fortunately, the message didn't sufficiently interfere with any received
station other than asking for a repeat once or twice.

Again, thanks to BARTG for sponsoring the Contest and to all who participated.

  73,
  Mike, K4GMH