[3830] CQ160 CW KC1XX Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, km3t@km3t.org
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW KC1XX Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 05:36:24 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: KC1XX
Operator(s): KM3T, W1FV, DL9DRA
Station: KC1XX

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 39

Total:  QSOs = 1634  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 77  Total Score = 948,192

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Fun weekend, as always.  Thanks to Matt and his family for letting us invade the
shack for the weekend.  We were down one operator from our planned operation as
Bob WA1Z had a family commitment.  Ralf DL9DRA joined us for the weekend as he
is working up in Vermont on a brief tour with his company.  Thanks Ralf!

We ended up behind our competition (K1LZ, W2GD) after the first night.  Never
seemed to get really good and consistent EU runs the first night.  Possibly bad
frequency choices, maybe limited propagation due to latitude, hard to tell for
sure.  EU seemed a little better the second night for us and it felt like we
were catching up a bit.  But our experience in this contest is that if you lose
the first night you never really receiver from that unless there is a completely
unusual propagation phenomenon that locks your competition out of Europe.  This
almost never happens.

Congrats to the ops at both K1LZ and W2GD for a job well done.  K1LZ must have
some phenomenal receive antenna setup over there in that industrial park where
his station is - would love to learn how he hears some of those Europeans that
seem barely audible or present at our QTH.

Seemed like generally good U.S. participation and stations seem to get
generally easier to hear each year.  I think this is due to generally better
spread of antenna knowledge and many stations raising their own performance bar
by improving their setups.

The spacing between stations continues to get tighter - it is much easier to
see this in the band map now with Skimmers active all over the place.  Using
the K3 in an environment like this is a true operating pleasure.  We ran the K3
on the main station in diversity mode for much of the weekend.   More pleasure.

It was a great effort overall and we got to test out the Green Heron GH
Everywhere Wireless Cable in a real operation.  We used this to control the
direction on the 3-element receive vertical array out in the field away from
the other antennas and the houses.  The unit interfaces with the PC via USB and
basically provides switching control over a wireless link from the shack.  Cool
stuff - and we have plans to further utilize this technology to eliminate some
control cable runs (critters love to eat control cables).

We still suspect that we may have a transmit antenna efficiency issue so this
summer we will check the ground screen under the verticals.  It's a
back-breaking project to undertake but has to be done.  We'll also make some
pattern checks of the array.  The design we chose (raised verticals with two
raised radials on each) depends on a good ground screen underneath the antenna
array.

Thanks to all the stations around the world who come out for this contest - it
is one of the most fun operating events of the year!

73,
Dave KM3T
on behalf of the XX crew

Station:
   (2) Elecraft K3's with Acom 2S1 interlock
   Ameritron AL-1500 amp - 1500W out

Logger: Win-Test 4.7.0

Antennas:
    Transmit: 3 inline 160m verticals (NE end-fire, SW end-fire, NW/SE
broadside, +NE/SW)
    Receive: Beverages (N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW)
                    3 inline active receive verticals (W1FV design) - 15'
elements - NE, SW

Continent breakdown:
North America   CW 1236    74.0
South America   CW    9     0.5