[3830] NA Sprint SSB ND0C QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, randydvm@iw.net
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint SSB ND0C QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 20:18:06 -0800
                    NA Sprint SSB Contest - February

Call: ND0C
Operator(s): ND0C
Station: ND0C

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 3.5

   80:  22      1.5
   40:  24      1.5
   20:  17      0.5
---------------------
Total:  63     Mults = 25  Total Score = 1,575

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Team:

Comments:

Interesting...   Heading into the weekend I had misgivings about how miserable
this Sprint was going to be, figuring that 20 would be worthless and I'd have
to go to 40 right away and take my QRP beating there.  But fortunately I was
able to get some easy QSOs on 20 before moving down to the land of QRP
masochism: 40 and 80 SSB. 40 didn't go long like it dead a week ago - that was
good.  And at first I seemed to be relatively loud on 80 - but then the QRM
became a big factor.  80 seemed really noisy here.

At the last minute I decided to use "Doc" as my name instead of Randy -
shorter, matches my call (by design) and, after all, I am a "doc".  Well, with
my weak signal and QRM/QSB it seemed to get confused with John and Don fairly
often.  - Don't know if I'll do that again!

I think some guys are getting a little loose with the QSY rule.  A few times
after I got a frequency, I would hear the station I just worked calling CQ a
kHz away (part of the curse of using a FT-897 that is pretty broad).  So what's
with that?

All in all, I had fun.  But this one is always a struggle running QRP.

Station: Yaesu FT-897D running 5 watts into 3 el tribander at 48' and inverted
vee with apex at 45'

73,
Randy (aka "Doc"), ND0C

"You don't have to be crazy to run QRP ... but it helps."