[3830] RTTY WPX AA5AU SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa5au@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX AA5AU SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 04:34:01 -0800
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 30
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:  357
   40:  443
   20:  514
   15:  369
   10:    2
------------

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

This was one of the most exciting CQ WPX RTTY Contests of all time.  We
experienced three M class flares during the contest.  The 3rd one, around 1730Z
on Sunday shut down the high bands here for a while.  I was 30 minutes from what
would have been the start of my final rest period when the bands went dead.  I
immediately knew what had happend and went to check the charts online to see a
spike in the x-ray flux.  I took a nap.

The contest was a real pleasure to operate.  Great conditions on all bands
except 10 meters.  It's been so long since we've experienced good conditions
and it brought a lot of stations out to the contest.  This is my best WPX RTTY
score ever and the highest number of prefixes worked.  I told Ed, W0YK/P49X,
before the contest that I thought my new antennas should be worth an extra half
million points and looks like I was close to that.

I reached my goal of 2.5M points. Thanks to all who participated!

Station A:
Icom IC-756 PRO III 100 watts output
Dell 4600 running WriteLog
Homebrew FSK/PTT Interface
JPS NIR-12 Dual DSP audio filter

Station B:
Kenwood TS-870
Dell Inspiron E1505 running WriteLog
Homebrew FSK interface
JPS NIR-12 Dual DSP audio filter

Antennas:
3 element SteppIR with 30/40 meter loop dipole at 58'
KT34M2 at 40'
80 meter inverted vee w/apex at 55'

73, Don AA5AU