[3830] ARRLDX CW MD2C(MD0CCE) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW MD2C(MD0CCE) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 16:46:53 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: MD2C
Operator(s): MD0CCE
Station: MD0CCE

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Isle of Man
Operating Time (hrs): 27

  160:  149    35
   80:  323    44
   40:  232    37
   20:  785    56
   15:  633    53
   10:   15    10
-------------------
Total: 2137   235  Total Score = 1,506,585

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Always a fun contest; this one was no exception!

Going into the contest, the main 40m antenna was still broken and waiting for
parts in the post from the US, so the 160/80M vertical was pressed into
service, but with high SWR.  The result was half the 40M QSOs of last year, and
fewer mults...but the other bands took up the slack and this year's totals were
higher than last year's, so a good result.  Station weaknesses and
opportunities for improving skills were noted along the way, in the hopes of
doing better next year!

40M seemed bizarre on Sunday AM GMT: lots of CQers but very few callers.
Having no callers when trying to "run," I took a look up and down the band - it
was full of CQers, both DX and W/VE, but very few taking callers.  It seemed
like a street market with stalls on the sides of the road, all the vendors
calling out their wares, and very few customers....very odd.  40 was much
busier and more fruitful on Sunday evening.

It was good to hear 10M open a bit to NA from here, but the promise of only two
days before, when it was REALLY open to NA, was not fulfilled, and only the Big
Guns were heard and worked from here, although I heard EA8s and other stations
to the south of me doing great, but not a peep of the stations they were
working.

Thanks to all for the QSOs, particularly those on multiple bands (even some
6-banders), and to the organizers for another fun weekend.

73
Bob   MD0CCE