[3830] ARRLDX CW M5O(G3LET) SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW M5O(G3LET) SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:17:01 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: M5O
Operator(s): G3LET
Station: G3LET

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: Pease Pottage
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:  418    48
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  418    48  Total Score = 60,192

Club:

Comments:

Orion II 400w
Antenna: 250 ft end-fed wire (used for Tx and Rx)
A couple of pics of the configuration can be seen at

https://picasaweb.google.com/tilgate/M5OARRLDX160m2011

The wire antenna slopes down to the NE from a height of 150 ft and so is more
or less ideal for this event.

I get ribbed all the time about still using hand logging, but ARRL DX SOSB is a
real doddle with no dupe sheet needed!  I can squeeze a few macros into the
ETM9C keyer, which is pretty much immune (unlike any PC I've tried!) to the rf
field that comes from feeding a half-wave wire in the shack.

Conditions were unusually noisy here this weekend and a majority of calling
signals were at or below my noise level.  Many thanks for all the repeats guys,
and sincere apologies to those I couldn't pull through after several tries.

First night was mostly restricted to the Eastern Seaboard and mid-west but
there was a short opening to some western states on Sunday morning, closing off
disappointingly early.  Apart from a few die-hards and maybe some like me
without proper HF antennas, the SOSB/160 category looked pretty thin on the
ground after the good years of 2009/10.  Although the final score was
disappointing, it was great fun and my first foray into the ARRL DX event.

It was so nice to be greeted right at the start of the two difficult and
frustrating evening sessions by Jack VE1ZZ, with the same pumping signal I
remember from our daily sked with Paddy EI9J on 80m from VP8 land in the early
1960's - thanks Jack!

Indeed, very many thanks to all who called - every one an exciting event on
160m!

73, Peter
G3LET (contest call M5O)