[3830] ARRLDX CW VE7XF SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VE7XF SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:55:32 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VE7XF
Operator(s): VE7XF
Station: VE7XF

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: near Vancouver
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  325    63
   10:
-------------------
Total:  325    63  Total Score = 61,425

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

SB/15 because the local QRN is overwhelming on the low bands.
Maybe we need a Triband category (20/15/10).

A short 12m opening to northern Eu on Feb. 14 at 2300z for 1/2 hour (the first
in 6 years) got my hopes up for 15 in the contest, but no dice.

I was hoping for some Eu, but only worked a few Sat/Sun morning. They were very
weak, over a skewed path, all peaking about 120 degrees (direct is 30 deg.).
Interesting that they were CQing but ignored by the mainstream NA group when I
worked them. Must be something going on here. Hopefully, the CQ WPX CW will be
better, given the increase in daylight. Condx to Eu seem to be much better on
the other side of the Rockies, as VE6RST noted (imagine - running Eu on 15m!).

One strange anomaly: YO4ATW was S-9+20 on Sat. at 2007z, over an hour after I'd
heard my last Eu! I made sure I copied his call correctly - I suspect a pirate.

Tnx to the JAs for the mini-runs on Sat/Sun - they were responsible for more
than 50% of my total Qs! (191/325).

I just installed the DVK module in the K3, so I'll try it out in the ARRL DX
SSB.

K3, Acom 1000, 3 el Steppir, N1MM

Ralph, VE7XF