[3830] ARRLDX CW N5IA(@N5BG) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N5IA(@N5BG) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 19:38:47 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N5IA
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: N5BG

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: NM - DM52
Operating Time (hrs): 21
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:
   40:  605    99
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  605    99  Total Score = 177,576

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I knew I couldn't operate the full weekend, so I decided to try something new.
A portable 4-square that we use for FD and QP expeditions was installed in the
back yard, so I thought a 40 Meter SO try would be fun, and would really put
the temporary antenna to a test.

I S&Ped for the first 8.5 hours for a total of 198 Qs.  Once the JA sunset came
I decided to run.  I stayed on the same freq until 1347 Z for a total of 302 Qs
without QSYing other than a few calls on the 2nd radio.  Of those, 273 were
with JA in a steady stream interspersed with calls from other areas of Oceania
and Asia.  At one time there were 39 JA calls in the log in straight order.
THANKS for all the calls.

At 1307 UA3MIF called in long path.  About 6 more Qs with EU Russia occured on
that same path.  Real neat.

The next to last call during the long run was from BA4WI.  He gave me a report
of 5W.  When I arrived home to sleep, I had an E-mail from him saying his rig
was an FT-817.  He was not strong, but a real FB contact.

The biggest thrill was busting with ONE call the unruly pileup calling P29CW.

First night total was 505 Qs and 90 mults.

With early Sunday morning commitments, I quit at midnight Saturday.  Second
night totals were 100 more S&P Qs and 9 more mults.  I missed the 2 night
single band DXCC by 1.  I did miss 3 mults that I just couldn't get to; OZ, TA
and EX.

I worked 31 CQ Zones.  The continent totals were SA=12, OC=10, NA=23, EU=38,
AS=9, and AF=7.

Rigs were a pair of K-3s controlled by a MicroHam MK2-R and feeding an Alpha
99.  The antenna: just 4 pieces of 33 foot long aluminum on 4 old tires filled
with concrete.

Thanks for the calls and contacts.  73 de Milt, N5IA