[3830] ARRLDX CW N7ZG SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N7ZG SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 22:31:56 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N7ZG
Operator(s): N7ZG
Station: N7ZG

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Harstine
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:   32    15
   80:  148    32
   40:  227    49
   20:  518    77
   15:  287    48
   10:   53    23
-------------------
Total: 1265   244  Total Score = 925,980

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

This is my first SOAB contest from the new QTH.   Right now tower #1 is at 145'
and tower #2 is at 105'.   All antennas are temporary until the intended
monobanders go up this summer along with the competed towers.

Tower #1 supports an inverted vee for 80M up at 140' and one for 40M at 120'
(both are apex heights).

Tower #2 is temporarily topped off with a 3 el SteppIR at about 110'.   The top
plates and M2 P2800 were put up for the spring season.   This tower also
supports a 160M inverted L with an 90' apex.

The towers are about 200' apart.

The A index was 3 on day #1 and 6 on day #2.  The flux was about 100 both
days.

10M opened broadly on Sat morning but really didn't deliver on Sun.   Well at
least it seemed that way to me.   It is nice to have more than one band open to
move mults around and play on radio #2.   Even 160 was fun.   Had good JA runs
on 40 though 20 and a nice EU run on 20 both mornings.   No EU for the most
part on 15 although I did work CS3C in Portugal.   The 20 openings are getting
longer as the cycle ramps up.   The opening on Sunday seemed comparably weaker
and shorter than Sat.  Maybe due to a small uptick in geomagnetic activity.
The 40M vee played well and yielded a surprising number of EU mults.   Managed
to work F2DX and TM6M along with CR3L on the 80M vee.   I was able to pretty
easily work almost any of the stations I heard on the 160M inverted L.   The
vast majority of the 160 Qs were from the first night.

Had an issue with RF getting into the right K3s serial port when transmitting
on 80M.  Gotta fix this.  Not a huge deal and mostly just an annoyance now and
then.

I'm getting more comfortable at SO2R.   Once rates go above about 100 it is
probably a waste of time.  Need to get the RFI issue resolved and a few minor
tweaks to get past the QLF moments that occur far too frequently.

Still planning on doing the WPX phone contest in March before dismantling the
temporary setup.   I wasn't sure about ARRL phone but after this weekend I may
try to free up my schedule.

I'm not planning on doing the WPX CW from the new station this year due to all
the forthcoming antenna work.

73,
Guy, N7ZG