[3830] ARRLDX CW W4ZW SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4zw@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W4ZW SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 23:39:32 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W4ZW
Operator(s): W4ZW
Station: W4ZW

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: Colorado
Operating Time (hrs): 5:45
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:   20    13
   40:  105    42
   20:   50    31
   15:   44    33
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  220   120  Total Score = 79,200

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Rig :   Kenwood TS-590S, Elecraft K3,
        Ant:    3/2 80M loop, 80M Delta Loop

Soapbox:
Part time effort enjoying these two fine rigs.  Had difficulty interfacing the
TS-590S with N1MM.  Both the TS-590S' USB and COM ports worked great with
everything but N1MM.  Finally borrowed the old MicroHam Keyer from the
K3 and worked with that. After using both rigs this weekend, I must confess
that I prefer the Kenwood.  The quiet noise floor and sound with clear signals
is better to my ears for long periods than the edgy noise floor of the K3. The
Kenwood would tune my loop, the K-3 couldn't handle it on 80M and 40M.  Found
that I actually work better running low power on the low bands with these
antennas and really need a tribander for the high bands.  I actually had a
min-run of JA's on 40M this morning.  Decided to try running when I worked
several JA's running LP with solid signals.  Strange to work one JA running
50-100W with a S5 signal and then a KW with a ESP signal in the noise. Found
V31RR on 10M for my only Q there.  And D4C had the most awesome signal
everywhere!

Confirmed my earlier finding that this big loop has a very sharp null for
HK/HC/OA and for the Western Caribbean.  I guess it's pretty clear when those
S6-9 stations CQ in your face while I could work CE/LU with ease. But I have
great lobes into JA and ZL/VK and into Europe and Africa.

Had several DX stations give me a HI or OJ, so some of my old friends were
hiding behind unique calls.  Heard K0RF everywhere.