[3830] ARRLDX CW NR6O(K7GK) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW NR6O(K7GK) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 09:06:04 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: NR6O
Operator(s): K7GK
Station: N6RO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 40:03
Radios: SO2R

  160:   62    19
   80:  187    55
   40:  635    82
   20:  595    84
   15:  360    70
   10:   66    27
-------------------
Total: 1905   337  Total Score = 1,917,867

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I guess this contest was a lesson in flexibility. Initially, this was planned as
M/M operation, but as other ops couldn't make it for various reasons, I was
offered to do a solo effort from Ken's great station.
I knew from the start, this couldn't be a super-serious effort since my work
commitments prevented me from starting on time and an uncertain ionospheric
situation would probably not result in optimal conditions. What I didn't expect
was that the first two hours of the contest I would be spending in wonderful Bay
Area traffic, which wasn't helped by the rain an poor visibility. Speaking of
rain, it didn't help the noise situation on the lower bands at all. Neither did
help the challenging conditions, particularly the inability to have a decent run
into EU. Pretty much from the start at 02:42 I was falling more and more behind
my last year's progress, although from a different QTH (@K7ZSD), and ended up
with about 500 QSOs less. I guess operating from an unfamiliar station, with
the logger I'm not particularly accustomed to didn't make it any easier.
Despite all that, this was another fun-filled weekend. The highlights were
finally seeing some activity on 10, including a few JAs; successfully moving
BV1EK from 40 to 80 to 160; good 40M into EU, especially the first evening.
Disappointments were the lack of 80M LP opening, with a notable exception of
UA6LCN (thanks, George), very poor 40M LP both mornings, and as mentioned
before 20M and even 15M into EU.

Many thanks to Ken, N6RO, for letting me play. See you next time.

Denis - K7GK/6