[3830] ARRLDX CW SN2M(SP2XF) SOSB/80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sp2xf@wp.pl
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW SN2M(SP2XF) SOSB/80 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 13:20:04 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: SN2M
Operator(s): SP2XF
Station: SP2EKI

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: Izbica Kuj.
Operating Time (hrs):
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:  616    47
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  616    47  Total Score = 86,856

Club: SP DX Club

Comments:

Thanks to everybody who gave me a call.

This was my first serious ARRL contest on 80m. After many months of hard work
at Marty's SP2EKI QTH, finally we were able to start competition. The result is
not as good as I expected, a lot below SN3A or SN7Q scores, but not bad as for
the first time.

The station in general, as well as all equipment prepared and designed for this
contest worked perfectly, however there are weak points and we do know that.
Looks like our receiving system maybe one of them. *** PLEASE*** if anyone who
reads this does remember calling me (SN2M) on 80m without my replay - let me
know by email. This is very important. The point is we need to estimate our RX
antennas real life efficiency. Thanks in advance!

Working the west coast on 80m is always big challenge from East Europe, nice to
have some W6/W7 in the log, I wish I had worked VE6, VE7 as well, but that
didn't happen this timeâ?¦

Finally, few words about the setup:

TX antenna: full size 4SQ vertical with 60 radials per element
RX antennas: 4 el K9AY rectangle array & 2x160 end-fire phased beverages

TRX: IC 775 + FT 1000D and PA
The second radio I used for RXing only, working the entire contest in diversity
receiving mode, listening simultaneously on two different antennas: the signal
from TX 4SQ I had in the left ear and from selected RX antenna - in the right.
Most of the time I preferred to listen on 4 el. K9AY array, this is very
competitive setup comparing to 160m long beverages. More details on:
http://sn2m.nazwa.pl/4xK9AY%20rectangle%20array/

Finally, I want to give thanks to Marty SP2EKI for great hospitality and help.
Also, very special thanks to Chris SP7GIQ, Roman US5WDX and Maciek SQ6MS.

Best 73's and cu next time.
Mac SP2XF (SN2M)

More pics from the station see:  www.sp2eki.com

and also: http://sn2m.nazwa.pl/ARRL%20CW%202011/