[3830] ARRLDX CW N1LN SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1ln@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N1LN SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 18:07:53 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   76    50
   80:  115    48
   40:  115    55
   20:  115    33
   15:  115    34
   10:   76    50
-------------------
Total:  612   270  Total Score = 495,720

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I was not able to put a team together for a M2 entry so the non-Ham Radio
weekend plans started to get scheduled. As the plans continued to grow my
available contest time continued to shrink. Fortunately, the time available
would allow some time to be spent on all bands. A couple hours on Friday night
would be dedicated to 40 and 80. Saturday morning would be 20, 15, 10.
Saturday night would be 160. Leaving the few hours on Sunday morning for what
ever band was open at that time. When I operate in this casual operator mode I
set my own goals and this one, strange as it may be, was to compare the
multiplier counts if the QSO counts on each band were the same. If all I did
was S/P the ratio could be 1 to 1, but I enjoy running so the comparison might
be interesting, but probably not meaningful.   As it turned out, this was quite
fun.  Fortunately, 10 meters was open during my available time on both Saturday
and Sunday mornings.   All bands were in great shape from here.

40 meters was the first band I operated on and that set the Q count for the
other bands.  After about 1 hour of on-the-air I had 115 Qs.  As I only had a
little more than 2 hours on Friday night, it was time to move to 80 meters. The
runs on both bands were quite good and in no time the 80 count matched the 40
count. Done for Friday night.

Saturday morning I only had about 3 hours so I was pleased that 20 was open to
EU at 1200 UTC â?" 700am local time.   The 115 QS were in the log while
drinking my first cup of coffee.  Then on to 15 meters.  The band was not quite
open at 1300 UTC, so the Qs started slowly.  However in less than 15 minutes the
rate meter was jumping up over 200 and eventually peaked around 280.  That was
fun, but with 115 Qs being the target that fun was over early.   Off to help my
wife with a couple things and then on to 10 meters.   My first 10 meter Q was at
1435 UTC. Although the band was not in great shape I was able to work stations
in EU, AF and SA. The way 10 meters has been, I guess these conditions should
really be classified as GREAT SHAPE. A skew path beam heading of 140 degrees
was the best for all locations worked. Also, the signals were the best on my
middle 10 mtr beam that is at 65 feet. It was much better than the one at 35
feet and even a little better than the one at 105 feet. The morning available
time ended about 15:30 UTC. However the Q count on 10 meters was only at 50.
That started to define what I would be doing with my Sunday morning time. Sure
hope 10 was going to be open on Sunday during my available time.

Saturday night available time started almost at 2400 UTC, but was broken up by
many household distractions. This evening was to be only 160 meters and it was
all S/P. I put in between 70 and 90 minutes of on-the-air time over the next 3
hours of actually time. The band was in outstanding shape and the Qs and
countries kept coming. It was also a great test of my new phased verticals. I
tested them by calling during pileups on NEW spots. Although not scientific, I
typically got through in the first or second call when the correct direction
was selected and NEVER when the wrong direction was selected.  Guess they are
working. When my time was up, the Q count was not at 115, but only 76. Decision
time.  How can I meet my goal of equal Qs per band with the time I have left?
The answer was quite simple. As my time was for fun and not really to be
competitive, I changed the goal. So, as 10 meters was already below the 115 Q
count, the new count for the top and bottom bands would be equal with a new
target count of 76.  Yes, strange, but I had fun.

Sunday morning started around 1345 UTC.  I could not hear one signal on 10
meters but, with only 2 hours of time to operate, I started to call CQ.  It
worked. First a couple calls came in from light copy SA stations.  Then a few
from EU. Before too long I made Q number 76 on 10 meters and I was finished.

This was indeed a different type of contest participation for me, but I had
fun. Isnâ??t that what it is all about anyway?

Then it was time to shut off the radios and go to the Duke Womenâ??s Basketball
game.

73,
Bruce, N1LN