[3830] ARRLDX CW VP9/W6PH(@VP9GE) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6ph@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VP9/W6PH(@VP9GE) SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:11:38 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VP9/W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: VP9GE

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Bermuda
Operating Time (hrs): 39.7

  160:  345    54
   80:  626    55
   40:  899    56
   20: 1090    58
   15:  837    50
   10:   53    15
-------------------
Total: 3850   288  Total Score = 3,326,400

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

IC-7000 CT9.92
Antennas:  160m Inv L (50 feet vertical)
            80m Dipole at 25 feet
            40m Dipole at 25 feet
            20-10m A4S (A2S) at 25 feet

This is my eleventh year of operating the ARRL DX Contests from VP9GE.  I'm
still enjoying it.

Lowlights:  Gales all weekend with winds continuously 40 to 50 mph.  One
extreme gust on Sunday took out electricity and turned the A4S into an A2S when
the reflector half of the boom broke.  I didn't notice any change in performance
though.  The commercial power went out for about three hours.  Ed and I pulled a
generator out but I missed an hour of a great run on 15 meters.

Highlights:  Working many of the people that I have met over the years.  One of
my favorites is Vic, N4XR, who was contesting as W1EOB before WW2 and is still
an active contester in his 90's.  For the first time in at least five years I
had several six band contacts. N5AW, N4KG, NR5M, K0RF and K0SR come to mind.
But 10 meters was not very strong as compared to the Caribbean, just a few good
signals from Texas and the west.  Fifteen meters was much improved from the past
few years.  I didn't hit 40 meters until the European sunlight.  There just
wasn't any frequency available from 7.0 to 7.1 before then.

I missed a couple easy multipliers which I couldn't move at the right time.

Analyzing the cost per contact, it comes out to be about 16 cents per contact
not including the cost of a QSL.

I will be back in VP9 for the Phone contest.  Special thanks to Ed, VP9GE, for
his great hospitality and friendship.

                            73, Kurt, W6PH