[3830] CQ160 SSB KV4FZ Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB KV4FZ Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 16:28:35 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: KV4FZ
Operator(s): KV4FZ
Station: KV4FZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: United States Virgin
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5

Total:  QSOs = 513  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 51  Total Score = 312,382

Club:

Comments:

My plans this year to get a better score paid off with 100K better than last
year....but the plan to concentrate on EU 10 points was a mistake.  Few were
there who could hear me through the EU splatter wall even though I move up the
band to 1850 and above.  Even S&P was a waste of time as I called KI7MT for
about an hour and he just could not get my call.  I got him on night two but
forgot to realize that a half a dozen super stations with QRO could take out
the whole lower portion of the band.  What amazed me was that Asiatic Stations
like UK9AA, UK9AAN, RA9CMO and P33W could work me with ease when closer Eu's
could not hear me.  UK9AA is in rare Uzbekistan more than 7000 miles away and i
got him before any other EU's were worked. (He called me!) Even ZL3IX at 8665
miles was no problem....but....I just could not log a single PA, F, LY, OE, GW,
GI, YU, HB, SM or SV even ON4UN could not hear me. D4C was stonger than most Na
station is but I could not hear him the second night at all!  All the long
distance stations I worked were well out of the splatter curtain zone.  Another
bummer was no SD, VT or VE5 were heard. It was all very frustrating and not much
I could do about it.  The Eu run I had counted on both nights, or even for one
night, never a happened.  The PJ stations who are getting 10m points per every
Q and are closer to most of the US than myself where doing well to Western
Europe and had significant piles from the mainland USA.  Again I tried my best
to finish at least in the top 10 but after a while I saw that this was
hopeless.  I did work some new 160 SSB countries but since I am not chasing
that
at all, I guess I will have to resort to giving out VI Q's as those in the 10
point only region can make me look like a whip with 100 watts from a hotel and
a dipole on the roof!