[3830] ARRLDX SSB AK4I SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB AK4I SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 16:39:51 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: AK4I
Operator(s): AK4I
Station: AK4I

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Marietta
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:    8     8
   80:   35    28
   40:   96    54
   20:  166    68
   15:  183    70
   10:   74    32
-------------------
Total:  562   260  Total Score = 438,360

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

One of my favorite contests.  Friday night was frustrating as I has previously
lost my normal 80 meter antenna and had replaced it with a RadioWavz OCF Dipole
that could only take 100 watts.  I couldn't get much response using it so after
sweeping through the bands on Saturday morning I grabbed a balun from Balun
Designs that I had bought for a new antenna and built and tuned an 80 meter
dipole that I could drive with full power.  I'm sure my neighbors thought I was
crazy hanging wires in trees in the rain but I got it up.  That solved the 80
meter problem.  The next problem was Sunday morning.  Once the rain stopped all
of the power lines in my neighborhood started generating S9 RFI for about 4
hours until they had dried off.  As a result I was not too successful Sunday
morning.  The biggest rush was Sunday evening between 4:45 PM and 6:30 PM when
I worked nothing but JA's, Alaska, Philippines, and Hawaii one after another.
My rate was over 60 QSO's per hour during this time.  This was my best score to
date.