[3830] ARRLDX SSB K6CSL SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6csl@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K6CSL SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 21:35:02 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K6CSL
Operator(s): K6CSL
Station: K6CSL

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: CA/SJV
Operating Time (hrs): 20:02

  160:   0      0
   80:   0      0
   40:  19     10
   20:  18     13
   15:  19     14
   10:   9      8
-------------------
Total:  65     45  Total Score = 8,775

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Well, This contest turned into a nightmare. I started out 3 hours late Friday
evening due to a family committment. So, I started out on 20. which was still
open and producing. I had about 15 contacts in my N3FJP Log when it suddenly
listed the QTH of TO7A as unknown. I plugged the call into QRZ.com and quickly
determined that the call was Martinique. I brought up the Edit panel on the
program and changed the QTH from "unknown" to Martinique. The log immediately
went blank, for some reason I have no idea. I closed the program and looked
into the "bin log" and it was blank. My QSO record was irretrevably gone. This
is the first time I have ever had such a problem with the N3FJP logging
programs. However I have been having some spurious problems with the Seagate
External Hard Drive that I run the FJP programs on. Occassionally when I try to
file E-Mails in the E-Mail file that's on the drive, the computer will suddenly
tell me that the Seagate Disk is corrupted and can't be accessed. It also gives
an error code number, which I looked up on the Seagate website and it turns out
that occassionally Windows 7, what I'm having to use with my new HP computer
that replaced the Dell computer that sufferred a major failure from a local
power outage, the week end before ARRL DX CW. So I followed the instruction
from Seagate and ran the Check Disk function on the external hard drive which
seemeed to correct the problem. It ran my log fine for ARRL DX CW. Well I
uninstalled and reinstalled the FJP log for ARRL DX on the hard drive and it
seemed to run fine the rest of the contest, though I had lost my first 15
contacts. I ran across several of my previous contacts who told me I was a
dupe, and I explained the best I could that I had a computer failure and had
lost the first four hours of my log, which had been run mostly on 20M. I
finished with above stats. On top of this, when I tried to normally produce the
Cabrillo Log and ADIF file from the FJP porgram, the computer told me that it
had written the proper files. When I went to move those files to a storage file
that I move the files from each contest to, after the contest, the CabLog file
and the ADIF file were not there. However the "bin log" was there and fully
intact, except for the 4 hours or so that had been previously lost. Luckily I
was able to transfer the "bin log" file to the storage folder and was able to
print it out. I took that file and fed it to the original FJP program that is
still in my old Panasonic "Toughbook" which I still keep as a back-up computer.
The FJP program on the Toughbook readily produced the Cabrillo Log and ADIF
file, so I guess all's well that ends well. 73's to all, and to all a good
night. Bert, K6CSL