[3830] ARRLDX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 22:46:14 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:    0     0
   80:    4     2
   40:   34    14
   20:   56    23
   15:  174    59
   10:   88    34
-------------------
Total:  356   132  Total Score = 138,996

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: Elecraft K-2 set to 5 Watts

Antennas:

10-15-20: 3 el SteppIR up 10 meters
40-80: Butternut HF-2V Vertical
_____________________________________

It is always tough to come back to my home station after doing some guest
operating at some vastly superior stations!

Conditions were decent and I worked 72 different countries in this contest all
on 5 watts with this modest antenna system.

My best Qs included P29CW and two 9M6's on 15 Meters. It was also nice to work
UP2L and RC9O (Zone 18) on a nice 20 meter opening into deep Russia late after
the band was generally closed.

The contest was interupted by going to two separate Little League baseball
games because it was each of my grandsons opening days (...that's out here in
San Diego!). I don't know what is happening to my sense of values. Nothing
could have dragged me from the rig in a major contest several years ago!

Being 71 years old, I also took a little more sleep getting 4 hours the first
night and splitting 5 1/2 hours the second night to get up for an hour during
sunrise in the Carribean.

But it was a lot of fun and the considerable improvement on 10 meters was
thrilling. On 10 meters I was able to work E5, YC0, KH2, FO8, and 2 JAs in the
first 40 minutes of the contest. It has been some years since I have done
anything like that!

See you all from TI5N in the WPX SSB contest!

73,   Bill  W8QZA / W6QU