[3830] ARRLDX SSB W2GPS SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W2GPS@cnssys.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W2GPS SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 06:14:56 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W2GPS
Operator(s): W2GPS
Station: W2GPS

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 14.5

  160:
   80:
   40:   51    35
   20:  183    76
   15:  230    88
   10:  110    47
-------------------
Total:  574   246  Total Score = 422,874

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Rig :  TS-850SAT, RigExpertPlus, AL-1500 amp.

Antennas :
 80/40 meters - Trap dipole at about 80 feet.
    Inoperative with burned trap. Will be fixed soon.
 40 through 6 meters - SteppIR DB18 at 70 feet.
 20/15/10 - A4S beam at about 30 feet.
 144/222/435 MHz - Beams from Gulf Alpha at 75 to 85 feet.

This was the first contest since the new tower and antennas were installed. Due
to other commitments I did not start operating until Saturday morning and I did
not operate in the evenings or at night. I also did not work 80 meters because
of a defective antenna. My goals were to familiarize myself with the new
equipment, test the interfaces with the logging software, grab as many
countries as possible and earn 100,000 points.

I accomplished all my goals but it was so much fun I couldn't stop. My old
operating techniques were clumsy with this new equipment and I now know what
changes need to be made here to improve the efficiency of the operation. All
contacts were S&P.

All things considered I was quite satisfied. Now that the antennas are up I am
planning a major upgrade to the shack and equipment. The experiences in
contesting and chasing DX will be the basis for the upgrades. I plan to make
room for two operators in the future.