[3830] ARRLDX SSB N2IC SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N2IC SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 06:52:00 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N2IC
Operator(s): N2IC
Station: N2IC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: New Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 41
Radios: SO2R

  160:   23    19
   80:   98    50
   40:  717    78
   20:  348    86
   15: 1510   118
   10:  177    52
-------------------
Total: 2873   403  Total Score = 3,473,457

Club:

Comments:

Wasn't sure I was mentally prepared for a full-bore effort, but contests and
good conditions have a way of suckering me in.

15 meters was just amazing, especially on Sunday. Nearly 6 hours of runnable
Europe on Sunday. That just doesn't happen very often from the western USA ! No
evening over-the-pole opening on 15, but that will come with more sunspots.

The downside of having some sunspots is 20 meter daytime absorption. You get
about 30 minutes of runnable Europe at sunrise, then the MUF shoots up and it's
all over. Both days, when I came back to 20 around 18Z-19Z, the strongest EU
signals were S4. The only remedy for this problem is more sunspots, which give
us the potential to have a nighttime opening on 20 to Europe.

This is the first phone contest I have done single-op since Europe and Asia
could operate above 7100. Much more activity from Asia, now that we can work
simplex. Here's a tip for 2nd tier Europeans who can't make a hole in the
7128-7200 range - operate split. listening above 7200. The area between 7050
and 7125 was very sparsely populated. The few Europeans I heard down there were
very easy to work.

10 meters just teased us out here. Barely opened to a few western Europeans,
and a few JA's on Sunday.

Thanks for all the QSO's !

73,
Steve, N2IC