[3830] ARRLDX SSB N4ZC SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4zc@juno.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N4ZC SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 07:10:18 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4ZC
Operator(s): N4ZC
Station: N4ZC

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: nr Charlotte NC
Operating Time (hrs): 33

  160:   25    22
   80:  105    58
   40:  173    73
   20:  464    96
   15:  535   109
   10:  174    55
-------------------
Total: 1476   413  Total Score = 1,827,525

Club: Carolina DX Assn

Comments:

All search and pounce. Age is creeping up. A long time now since I could go 48
hrs. The amp wouldn't work on 10 so LP there. Still, as always, a lot of fun.

I think this might have been my best first hour ever from the standpoint of
breaking pileups. Over the years there have been first hours that went slow
with a number of calls to get the Q. Everyone I called the first hour of this
contest came back on one call. Yes, it does make you feel good, even if you
know there was a bit of blind luck to it.

 I see comments on both sides of the dupe question. Let me add my 2 cents
worth. After 50+ years in contests, I've seen countless times when I've called
a station and get a report from two stations. You try to find out who the other
guy was, for a twofer. You never know how many others give you a report you
never heard. You are in their log but not your log. I've operated both ends of
the pileups many times. With almost everyone now using a computer, people don't
call if their computer says it's a dupe. Most of dupe calls come from bad spots.
Give your call more often and you will have fewer dupe calls. It takes no more
time to say 59 KW and hit the enter key than it does to say we worked before
and wipe the call. If it makes you feel good, say QSO B4, but don't waste a
nanosecond trying to argue with the guy that he is in the log. If you are
correct, it hasn't really helped your score a bit. If you are wrong, he doesn't
get credit for the QSO and you not only lose the QSO you think you had, but also
the penalty Q. Is it really worth the penalty Q to insist you are right.
Roger