[3830] ARRLDX SSB W4EF SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W4EF@dellroy.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W4EF SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 07:58:00 -0700
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W4EF
Operator(s): W4EF
Station: W4EF

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   13    13
   80:    8     3
   40:   26    13
   20:    0     0
   15:   97    50
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  144    79  Total Score = 34,128

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: Ten-Tec Omnin 6+
Amp: Drake L-7
Antennas:     160 TX - 56ft top-loaded vertical
              160 RX - homebrew W8JI RX 4-square
               80 TX - 56ft vertical (wire parallel to 160 TX radiator)
               40 TX - 1/4 wave vertical  (wire parallel to 160 TX radiator)
               15 TX - 40 meter Inverted-V at 40 feet

Drove up to my remote QTH saturday night to catch a little bit of the contest.
I spent most of my time playing around with the new RX 4-square on 160. Seems
that it works too well as I could I could hear much better than I was being
heard(heard but did not work TG, V26, PZ, and P40). Guess I need to work on the
TX side of things now. Knocked off about 1000 UTC to connect up the remote coax
switch I just bought to the 160/80/40 transmit vertical. Now I can switch
between 160 and 80/40 with walking outside in the middle of the night with a
crescent wrench :-) After fixing the TX antenna I made a few QSOs on 80 and 40
before heading to bed. Woke up about 9 AM local on Sunday and was able to catch
some of the great propagation on 15 meters. It was great to hear the band so
good. I even had a couple of European stations comment that I had a "big
signal" which was gratifying given that I was only running a 40 meter
inverted-V with the apex at 40 feet :-)

73 Mike, W4EF............