[3830] Rus DX VE6TL SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Rus DX VE6TL SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:45:50 -0700
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: VE6TL
Operator(s): VE6TL
Station: VE6TL

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 14.5

  160:    0      0        0         0
   80:    3      0        3         0
   40:   58     17       33        14
   20:  146     90       58        49
   15:   66     12       26        17
   10:    0      0        0         0
Total:  273    119      120        66  Total Score = 440,448

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Comments:

With the recent solar surge, I was hoping that there might be a "hangover"
effect and decent propagation.  Wrong.  I woke up early for a 6AM contest start
with great anticipation and found there were no signals on any of the bands.  I
checked my antennas and my rig and all was in order.  After a short while
things got even worse!  By 7AM I gave up and fixed myself a nice breakfast.
Around 8AM I turned on the radio and started to hear some signals on 20m so I
decided to give it another try.  Europe really didn't start to come in until
late morning and then it was just the usual big guns.  Tried running hear and
there, to no avail.  Kept seeing VA6AM spotted so wondered what he was doing
right.  I did end up getting spotted twice, which didn't help as I was forced
to vacate those frequencies almost immediately due to QRM.  The aurora got so
strong that at various times in the evening I had to ask other stations to QRS
as the dashes sounded like dots.  And the dots sounded like noise.  I wouldn't
be surprised to see close to 10% error rate.  And many of the stations I worked
just sent "QSL" instead of admitting that they struck me from the log because it
would take too long to get the exchange right.  Can't really blame them.  Enough
sour lemons.  I still enjoyed hearing all the R/UA stations on and the DX
activity.  Working 6V7D as one of my 3 countries on 80m was also a treat.  See
you in the next one.

Jerry VE6TL
QTH:  Calgary city lot
Ant:  TH6DXX tribander, BigIR Vertical,