[3830] VaQP W4AU SOAB/CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4au@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] VaQP W4AU SOAB/CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 06:52:06 -0700
                    Virginia QSO Party

Call: W4AU
Operator(s): W4AU
Station: W4AU

Class: SOAB/CW HP
QTH: LDN
Operating Time (hrs): 20
Radios: SO2R

  160:    1
   80:  144
   40:  244
   20:  181
   15:    9
   10:    3
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  579     0       0  Mults = 165  Total Score = 194,705

Club: Loudoun Amateur Radio Group

Comments:

This year was the first time that I had entered as CW only in the VAQP. Boy,
things are a lot slower on CW in this QP compared to SSB, and it's easy to miss
many of the VA multipliers that are only heard on fone. But I certainly didn't
miss the deliberate interference on 75 SSB that has plagued us in the past.

The major thing that helped me stay in the chair was operating SO2R, and during
slow times I could even alternately CQ on two bands to try and keep the rate up.
I found 20 especially productive on Sunday morning and afternoon working both
the western U.S. and Europe; sometimes I didn't know which way to point the
beam! Also, my 191' Extended double Zepp worked great on 40 as it is oriented
to work both east and west.

I was surprised on Sunday morning when my score passed the existing HP CW
record for the VAQP; it was a big lift and kept me working as hard as possible
for the rest of the time. I hope that my score holds up as there were a lot of
good CW ops on the air this weekend.

Thanks for all the Q's, especially for those folks who got on Sunday just to
hand out a few low numbers.

73 - John, W4AU

Rigs:
K3 & P3 -> Alpha 78