[3830] WPX SSB DM1A(DL1IAO) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, DL1IAO@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB DM1A(DL1IAO) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 18:17:20 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: DM1A
Operator(s): DL1IAO
Station: DL0WW

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: JN49FO
Operating Time (hrs): 34
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:   45
   80:  217
   40:  442
   20: 1011
   15: 1125
   10:   83
------------

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

2x IC756Pro3(INRAD) + Alpha87A, IC4KL (40m)
TopTen decoders, WX0B bandpass filters & homebrew 2R-switching

WT v3.23.0 on 3x HP Omnibook XE3

(160) 27m shunt-fed tower, Mag-Loop (RX)
 (80) Bobtail (NW/SE), Delta Loop, DP @10m
 (40) 3el M2 Yagi @20m (linear-loaded, tuned for CW), DP @10m
 (20) 5el M2 Yagi @27m
 (15) 5el Yagi @25m
 (10) 6el Yagi @24m (sharing tower with 40m)

I returned from a business trip on Saturday, so off-time choices were limited.
I didn't get the full operating time but tried to catch the best DX hours. As
the 40m Yagi is useless in the high phone band I needed to fire up the IC4KL
with its built-in antenna tuner or use a low DP for those QSOs. Most times 15m
felt very good, even to AS and OC in the morning. However, on Sunday between
about 14:30-16:30Z I experienced a real propagation blackout with DX signals
almost disappearing. I could watch it on the Pro3's scope and the only thing
that worked was to switch between 20m and 40m and work some EU or AS. Others
just seemed to continue with their 15m NA run. I noted a similar effect in ARRL
SSB but thought it was a poor choice of antenna height for that part of the
opening.

With a few SSB antenna tweaks and better planning 10M should be within reach
from this station. Of course, a few people have done it easily this year -
congrats!

CU in summer for some CW contesting.

73,

Stefan