[3830] WPX SSB KW7Y(K7RL) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mitch@k7rl.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KW7Y(K7RL) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 18:33:33 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KW7Y
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: KW7Y

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WWA
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:    0
   80:    2
   40:  689
   20:  973
   15: 1662
   10:  122
------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

All I can say about conditions this weekend is WOW.   With no solar disturbances
and a moderate SFI, this was a quite a different experience from what I am used
to.

40m was incredible both nights with great EU runs until around 07:00z.  Most
signals were well over the QRM which made copying calls, and holding a
frequency much easier than usual.  This kept me awake and enthused which made
my nighttime operating fly by.

20m was excellent over the pole in the evening, especially the last night until
around 05:30z.  I havenâ??t heard openings like that in many, many years.
During the daylight hours it was struggle after about 17:00z, but 15m more than
made up for it.

15m was the best I have heard it since the last solar maximum.  EU was runnable
until after 20:00z both days with very strong signals from every corner of the
continent.  This is the first time I can remember my Q totals on 15m exceeding
20m.

The W7 SOAB HP record is currently 7,226,691 set in 2000.  I wasnâ??t aiming
for the record, and am really quite surprised to have exceeded it by a large
margin.  I imagine many old records will fall this weekend.

One of the highlights was being called by S21YZ in the middle of a Sunday
morning EU run on 20m.  The frequency got suddenly quiet as everyone realized
it was S21YZ on the frequency.  I had to chuckle because Iâ??ve never heard a
pile-up dissolve into nothing so quickly.  You could hear a pin drop.  My
compliments to Jon (KL2A) and the entire crew for an outstanding DXpedition.

Thanks to all for the Qs.

73 de Mitch, K7RL (KW7Y)