[3830] WPX SSB NG3R(W2GD) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB NG3R(W2GD) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 22:48:05 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NG3R
Operator(s): W2GD
Station: K9RS

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: PA
Operating Time (hrs): 19

------------
  160:    3
   80:  185
   40:  336
   20:  518
   15:  691
   10:    8
------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Many thanks to K9RS for allowing me to use his very FB station this weekend.

This was a one day effort, about my limit for phone contests as a SO from the
states.  I see more M/S, M/2, and M/M in my future on phone contest weekends.

This is by far my best ever SOAB HP score in WPX PH from the USA.  But then
again, it is the only SOAB HP WPX PH event I can ever remember entering over
the last few decades.  For those who are rate junkies this was the place to
be.

Editiorial:  Far too many stations with overdriven amplifiers, excessive
compression, and otherwise dirty signals to make this a totally enjoyable
experience.  Come on guys, turn down those gain controls (including the drive -
those running excessive power stuck out like very sore thumbs).  With a clean
signal you will make more friends....and more contacts.  And if the bands were
made just a little bit cleaner overall, those of us who think twice about
participating in phone contests, even casually, might be much more inclined to
provide those additional contacts.  Think about it.

Operating Tip:  For those of you with the K3/P3 combo, the waterfall display
can be useful tool in finding 'windows' of opportunity.  This proved again and
again to be an almost foolproof way to successfully identify frequencies where
CQing could be fruitful on 20 and 15 during the height of activity.  Or maybe
everyone is already using this technique and I'm late to the party?

Enjoyed comparing the virtues of the FT-9000 and the K3 this weekend.  The K3's
multiple options for varying bandwidth sittings and IF shift were winners.  It
was impossible to totally eliminate the crude of course, but with the right
combination of filter and shift settings, signals seemed to just jump out at me
when using the K3.  Too bad the radio isn't more intuitive, but thats the
tradeoff I suppose for size which forces the use of multi-function controls.
Then again, the FT-9000, which is loaded with individual controls, many with
man-sized knobs,  isn't all that intuitive either.  The number of options takes
time to master.

Bottom line, had some fun playing radio and saying hello to so many friends
this weekend.  Expect to read many records have fallen with some of the best
band conditions heard in years.  Now if 10M would only stop playing hide and
seek that would really be something to write about.

73,

John W2GD/P40W