[3830] WPX SSB 8P5A(W2SC) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tom.georgens@netapp.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB 8P5A(W2SC) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 16:31:54 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: 8P5A
Operator(s): W2SC
Station: 8P5A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Barbados
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  101
   40:  767
   20: 2212
   15: 2157
   10: 1010
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Great rates and great conditions

The weekend was still confounding as the greatly improved conditions yielded a
lower score than last year.  Despite enormously loud signals on 20 before the
contest, the band went long and I did not come anywhere close to the 330 hour I
had at 0Z last year.  The lowbands were notably down and the number of 4 and 6
point QSOs was well below last year.  I expected to make it up on the high
bands but it never seemed to happen.  A strong JA opening allowed me to beat
last year's multiplier total, but I did not work as many EU prefixes.  Clearly,
some new analysis needs to be done around reformulating the strategy as
conditions improve.  In the mean time, I just ran a hard as I could and hoped
to accumulate multiplers.

Twenty was open, but not necessarily runnable, nearly all night long.  It was
great to hear UP0L on 15 just past midnight local time.  I tried many times get
an EU run going on 10.  It seemed about to break wide open several times, but it
was never really productive.

After the hurricane during CQWW SSB, the station has performed flawlessly for
the three subsequent contests.

Thanks for the contacts and for one of my favorite contests

QSL via LoTW or NN1N

73, Tom W2SC

Station

K3/AL1200