[3830] GaQP KC4HW Rover Single OpSSB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kc4hw@centurytel.net
Subject: [3830] GaQP KC4HW Rover Single OpSSB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 09:08:41 -0700
                    Georgia QSO Party

Call: KC4HW
Operator(s): KC4HW
Station: KC4HW

Class: Rover Single OpSSB LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:              14
   20:             135
   15:
   10:
    6:
------------------------
Total:     0       149  CW-Dig Mults = 0  Ph Mults = 30  Total Score = 4,470

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

This was a Sunday only effort.  No driver this year, just drove until I found an
operating spot and gave 30 to 45 minutes of time then go to the next one.
Managed to work all 9 counties (EARLY, CLAY, RANDOLPH, CALHOUN, BAKER, MILLER,
DECATUR and SEMINOLE) that I had spoke for.

Unfortunately, I did have some problems.  The vehicle that I was going to use
the old trusty pickup, had the ball mount fall apart.  I had had some trouble
with it before and had a spare to replace it--unfortunately, I did not get it
done before the GQP.  So I used my car with the screwdriver antenna.  This
vehicle is very noisey--especially on 40m.  Mostly, I think, it is the
electronic braking sensors, etc.  I have never been able to get it clean.  I
sort of forgot about this when I decided to take the car.  Additionally this
screwdriver antenna has gotten finicky to tune, so have some more work to do on
it.

Nevertheless, the big problem occured with the power jack on the laptop went
bad.  I could not get the DC to DC power supply to function with the computer.
The main problem with not having the computer was sending CW.  As most of you
may know I am pretty CW challenged.  I am even worst with a paddle/key.  So
with the computer problem, I decided to go PH only and hand write the log.
Don't believe I have hand written a log since 1981...  Now I remember why.
Actually it was not that bad for a 150 Qs.  I would hated to have done a 1000
Qs as I did way back.  hi

Upon arriving in EARLY I found the 40m band just so so.  I only logged 13 Qs.
I guess we have been waiting on Cycle 24 for so long, I just could not get it
in my mind that I had to go higher in the bands.

I moved on to CLAY and tried 40m again, could not make a contact.  So moved up
to 20m and made 23 Qs.

Over to RANDOLPH I started on 40m but could not make a contact, changed to 20m
and not much luck there either.  Only managed 5 Qs in this county in about 45
minutes.  I tried very hard to make some contacts, primarily because I knew
that there were not to many mobile working through this county.

CALHOUN produced 15 Qs on 20m nothing on 40m, I gave up on 40m at this time.

BAKER was my best county.  I recorded 33 Qs on 20m.

MILLER was also pretty good with 30 Qs on 20m.

DECATUR produced 17 Qs and I tried 40m again but nothing.

SEMINOLE gave up 13 Qs on 20m, nothing on 40m!

I tried 15m also, but never could get a response.

All in all, it was a difficult effort, but I kept plugging away at it so that I
would not let my Georgia neighbors down on the counties that I had spoke for.

Actually, I rather enjoyed some of the PH contact with the different stations,
many were very friendly giving their name, QTH, etc.  Since I was not in the
competitive mode, it was fun just to work them.  I worked Bob/W0BH in all but
one of the counties that I was in.  It was fun to hear Bob' enthusiasm for the
GQP, I really enjoyed talking to him--had many CW Qs with Bob before, but first
time on PH.  At one time he was only missing 2 counties, I think--I sure hope he
got them.

Congratulations to the organizing folks for the 50th Georgia QSO Party.  I
think there was a great participation and with all the counties active it was
even greater.  I spoke to W4EIP in Florida and he said that he had worked the G
E O R G I A 1x1 Stations on CW and indicated that it was a fun feature to the
contest.  I think that all 159 counties may have been activity, based on what
W0BH indicated--a great feat considering how many counties they have!!!!

I had a good time, left about 7AM CDST and got back home around 5PM CDST.

For me the Florida QSO Party is next then the Alabama QSO Party, hope that I
can get all my problems worked out and have a better effort in both of these.
Perhaps you will join us!

Thanks to everyone for the contacts.

Jim/KC4HW