[3830] ES HF ES5RW/6 SO SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rein.kolk@kliinikum.ee
Subject: [3830] ES HF ES5RW/6 SO SSB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:08:18 -0700
                    ES Open HF Championship

Call: ES5RW/6
Operator(s): ES5RW/6
Station: ES5RW/6

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: KO37OP
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:                   202       9
   40:                   157       9
Total:   0        0      369      18  Total Score = 6,462

Club:

Comments:

Over the years this has been a contest for me with simple setup at my summer
house: single radio, single antenna, not too much power. After finishing 3rd or
2nd in ssb for a number of years in a a row I decided to put up SO2R at ES6Q
contest staion in the south-eastern corner of the country.

I was expecting tough competition with Vello ES0QD and Kristjan ES7GM this
time. Despite no major failures this did not happen to be the case. I have to
be lucky to keep the 3rd position this year again. I did fine on 80m but logged
not enough contacts on 40m. Operating from Estonian islands (#0 call area) at a
location not far from the waterfront is a clear advantage compared to the
mainland. A basic setup will do - just go ahead and give a CQ. As for Kristjan,
ES7GM, one might remember this call, there is every reason to believe that we
will witness good contest scores from this guy the coming years.

We had nice short skip on 40 starting from the 3rd period. Before that, more
central location in the country might have benefited to log ES-stations that
were not audiable at ES6-land. Otherwise, as the number of participants was
limited, moving every possible station between 80 and 40 proved out to the
right thing to do. Well done, Kristjan.

I do hope that the non-Estonian counterparts had similar amount of fun as we
did. Anyway, thanks for the QSOs.

73, Rein