[3830] FlQP WI9WI SOABMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhfitzpa@wisc.edu
Subject: [3830] FlQP WI9WI SOABMixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 14:15:52 -0700
                    Florida QSO Party

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: SOABMixed HP
QTH: Winter, WI
Operating Time (hrs): 15

   40:   85      7
   20:  293     27
   15:    4      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  382     34  CW Mults = 67  Ph Mults = 24  Total Score = 72,618

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Last year I operated this one semi-seriously. About midday on Sunday it looked
like I had a chance at a sweep, so I got serious and I came close, but
unfortunately had already missed the mobiles in the NE corner of the state and
came up short on DUV, NAS and STJ.

This year my main goal was a sweep. I went up to our cabin in northern WI where
I have much better antennas than at home in Madison. I pretty much stayed in the
chair most of Saturday and by the close had about 250 QSOs and was missing only
HOL, WAL and WAG. I also only had OKA on phone. I was lucky and followed K4Q
down the east coast during the day Saturday. When he got to DAD I hoped he
would turn right and go to MON next. He did, and I managed to get him there for
the only MON I heard during the contest. On Sunday AM I got up at the start and
got K4OJ in HOL and WAL the first hour on 40. I also got OKA on CW. Then K4OJ
inexplicably turned west skipping WAG and went all the way to ESC before
starting back east and finally getting to WAG a few hours later. Thanks for the
sweep K4OJ. After I finished the sweep I took it easy and would check the radio
every 30 minutes or so over the next few hours and run the mobiles as they
changed counties.

The workhorse band was 20 during the day and 40 on Saturday evening and for the
first hour or 2 on Sunday. I kept checking 15 every hour or so during the day,
but heard no one except for 4 QSOs on CW about midday Sunday. All were
perfectly readable, but no one moved the S-meter.

Thanks so much for all the mobile QSOs.
K4KG - 34 counties
N4TO - 32
NX4N - 29
N4EEB - 28
K4OJ - 27
K1XX - 26
W4RQ - 21
K4Q - 20
N4AO - 20
KN4Y - 17
AD4ES - 8
KC4HW - 8
K4XS - 7
K2ZR - 7
K4CIB - 4
and several with 2 or 3. I made a few more QSOs with most of these stations, a
couple on SSB and a few on both 40 and 20 in the same county.

Gear: K-3, AL-82 1KW
40: 2 el at 100 ft, 20/15: C-19 at 50 ft.

A lot of fun in a short time. Thanks to the FCG for organizing this. And thanks
to OJ himself for resurecting this some years ago.

73

Jim