[3830] 7QP K7RAT Cnty Exped M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 7QP K7RAT Cnty Exped M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 15:57:03 -0700
                    7th Call Area QSO Party

Call: K7RAT
Operator(s): WA5Y, N2IC
Station: K7RAT

Class: Cnty Exped M/S LP
QTH: AZ CHS/GHM
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:
   80:   188    26
   40:   498    56
   20:   718   390
   15:   176    62
   10:
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:  1580   534      0  Mults = 66  Total Score = 383,328

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

This was a quickly put together county-line operation, brought on by the sudden,
late cancellation of the usual K7EAR county-line M/M. I was extremely pleased
that Russ, WA5Y, was as enthusiastic about the idea of trying our own operation
as I was. The first task was to find an AZ county line, located on public land,
not too far from our NM home QTH, with passenger-vehicle road access. Our
operation was from flat, hot, BLM desert land, about 6 miles north of Bowie,
AZ, on the Cochise/Graham county line. Our setup was simple and effective. The
antennas were a Cushcraft A3 tribander, 40 and 80 dipoles. They were put on 30
feet of Rohn 25. The gin pole allowed us to get the dipoles up an extra 10
feet. Neither of us have an RV or trailer, so we operated under a 10' x 20'
canopy. A generator was borrowed, and a TS-590S, an old laptop, and N1MM Logger
rounded out the set up.

Almost everything about the contest went perfectly. The temperature was 95
degrees for setup on Friday, but the wind was calm. The contest started out
with fine WX, but by 18Z the wind came up, and we had to deal with 30-40 MPH
winds and a canopy that wanted to become airborne for the next 6 hours. The
radio, computer, antennas, generator, operators, etc, all worked nearly
perfectly. Except for 15 meters being a disappointment, propagation was
excellent. A big bonus was the winter-like quiet on 40 and 80 meters Saturday
night.

Thanks to everyone for the QSO's, and to N6TR for the loan of the Boring ARC
call, K7RAT. I hope the RAT enjoyed a break from cold, wet Oregon.

73,
Steve, N2IC