[3830] WPX CW K4QPL SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4qpl@nc.rr.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW K4QPL SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 17:55:35 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K4QPL
Operator(s): K4QPL
Station: K4QPL

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 17

------------
  160:
   80:    2
   40:  161
   20:  253
   15:   61
   10:    1
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Radio: Orion II @ 5W. Antennas: TH7 tribander @ 70'; 40M dipole @60'; 80M
Inverted V @ 60'

Couldn't join the NY4A team this year as had other commitments so just made it
a part time fun event.

80 had too much QRN for QRP. 40M totally surprised me with some great QRP DX
including two or 3 VK's. 20 was nothing until late afternoon Saturday. 40 was
noisier Saturday nite so went to bed. 20 was much better Sunday. 15 worked well
into the Caribbean and South America. Didn't have the other radio on line to
listen on 10 so if there was an opening I missed it. Almost all S&P to maximize
DX and mults but had a short run on 15 towards the end.

A great learning experience as well. Just a few degrees of beam heading can
make the difference between a QSO and being ignored at the other end,
particularly between northern Europe and Mediterranean. Kept the rotator
spinning! Timing is everything and even my long call occasionally comes in
handy as the noise dies and the DX op sometimes hears just "....PL" and gives
me a chance.

Was just playing for fun but became so much fun QRP I couldn't stop! Don't know
how much fun it was for the guys at the other end. They're the ones who deserve
extra points for digging me out of the "mud". The skills of the DX ops are
amazing. Picking up stateside mults was much easier.