[3830] WPX CW NR3X(@N1LN) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1ln@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW NR3X(@N1LN) M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 05:25:02 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: NR3X
Operator(s): W0UCE, N4YDU, N4CW, AA4NC, KF7ADB, N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:   28
   80:  305
   40: 1207
   20: 1519
   15:  584
   10:  114
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Before WPX started the big question mark for the weekend was the weather.  In
this part of NC thunder and lightening was on the menu from 22:00 UTC Friday
until 01:00 Saturday.  So, the first 25 hours of the contest were up for grabs.
Fortunately we never had to deal with the lightening, but the QRN levels on 40,
80 and 160 Friday night very high.

The next bit of fun was to be the solar actions and the, less than helpful,
101, 36, 5 numbers with the G2 storm and the R1 blackout.  Although both 15 and
10 meters were significantly impacted, we would not be suffering alone, so the
weekend of fun moved on.

The final events of the weekend were quite unexpected, but Mr. Murphy is always
in the house.  On Friday evening we tried to turn the middle 204BA to EU to run
the top and middle in phase.  Well, the Tic Ring was stuck at 280 degrees and
that was NOT going to help.  Fortunately it was pointed stateside, so not a
total bust.  Then early Saturday afternoon Bert was thought he was having
issues being heard on 20 meters.  The rates were not as expected so he moved to
the backup 20 meter antenna, the T10 Tennadyne Log.  Problems solved.  I think
that is why many say that you just can not have too many antennas.  However,
the Log and the top XM240 are on the same rotor, so as long as 20 and 40 want
to be looking in the same direction, all is good.  Also, the log is the high 10
meter antenna, but as 10 meters was in the tank most of the weekend we were
quite fine with just the bottom two yagis.  Delete the 20 meter stack and
insert the single Log until I get time to climb the tower.

Next issue?  NO, we were DONE and the issues were now behind us.  Time to get
back to the fun.

With every Multi Operator CW event at our QTH Chef Archie comes to visit. Once
again Archie (aka Jack, W0UCE) put together an outstanding dinner for Saturday
evening.  The chicken barbecue was cooking, the wine was flowing and everyone
enjoyed the feast.

It was also great to have Will, AA4NC, join the team for the first time.  He
typically has very busy weekend schedules, so it was great he was able to join
us this time and hopefully will be free for other future contests.

The rest of the weekend was pretty much normal.  Rates were up and they were
down.  Our multiplier count was good, but not great.  We were almost 200 mults
down from WPX SSB weekend which was a Multi Single entry for us.  Perhaps time
to again refer to the SOLAR event?  Our original target score was in the 12m -
14m range, which quickly got adjusted down to 10m.  We got very close to that.
No other state side M2 postings yet, but hope our score will be competitive. The
team worked hard all weekend.

One final observation.  It is great to have a day off after a sleep deprived
weekend.  Might need to consider that for futures.

Hope everyone has a HAPPY and SAFE Memorial Day.

73 from the NR3X team,

Jack, W0UCE
Nate, N4YDU
Bert, N4CW