[3830] WPX CW W1BO SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4jik1@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW W1BO SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 10:25:58 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: W1BO
Operator(s): W1BO
Station: W1BO

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Phenix City, AL
Operating Time (hrs): 6

------------
  160:    0
   80:    2
   40:  151
   20:   78
   15:   16
   10:    0
------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

FT-950/100watts/See Notes for Antennas - All and all a great effort by all SECC
members worked a number of members. Well have been busy teaching a cycle of
students so havenâ??t had a lot of opportunity to work on the radio and having
lost a number of antennas during the recent storms â?" my center mast for my
inverted Vâ??s came crashing down on my beam and needless to say everything was
pretty much a goner from there. Well worked on it Friday afternoon/evening
trying to get antennas into place â?" got my DX-A up only to realize that I had
a coax problem associated with the â??sudden stretching associated with the mast
collapsingâ?? fixed that â?" thank god for the miniVNA or I would have been
scratching my head for days trying to figure that one out. Well the DX-A needs
to be pruned REALLY REALLY bad and I didnâ??t have time to do the job so lost
out on my 40/80/160 meters to the NE/SW (My lowband EU Antenna). So I decided
to concentrate on my NW/SE antenna so that I at least kept the US in the lobes,
well first run with the VNA showed great SWRs, so I went ahead and tightened the
antenna down a little more and low decided to run another run on it with the VNA
â?" yeah this isolated that I have a break in the wire (insolated) somewhere as
the SWR went off the chart (resonance was somewhere near 34mhz!) so this became
my first project Saturday morning trying to fix this one had a hell of a time
trying to find some new wire if you can believe that finally ended up getting
some 16 gauge copper weld that is ironically sitting next to me because I
didnâ??t want to lose to much day time operating to work on a mainly night
antenna â?" then the family stepped in and had to do a lot of things with my
family during the evening and afternoon hours.

So my intended 100% effort ended up turning into me getting absolutely
frustrated with antennas, mast and beams and I really never got the opportunity
to sit down and operate the way I had planned to then my brother stopped in
Sunday afternoon so I lost that opportunity to work as well. But hopefully I
will have at least one antenna functional for the Alabama QSO Party next
weekend and look forward to hearing talking to as many of you as possible â?"
probably going to work from home in RSSL county but I keep seeing this empty
spot over in Macon County that I just want to fill with a portable operation
then move over to a portable location I have in RSSL then Barbour â?" for the
Rover Competition â?" but will be contingent on what kind of antennas I
actually have ;)  Back to the math and cutting and fixing..

Jeremy
W1BO