[3830] WPX CW T70A(E73A/9A3A) SOAB(TS) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, 5b4ada@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW T70A(E73A/9A3A) SOAB(TS) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 13:29:18 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: T70A
Operator(s): E73A/9A3A
Station: T70A

Class: SOAB(TS) HP
QTH: San Marino
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:   51
   80:  307
   40: 1063
   20: 1296
   15:  445
   10:   63
------------

Club: Bosnia and Herzegovina Contest Club

Comments:

First of all, thanks to T70A crew for hosting me again! My last WPX from EU was
some time in the late 80-s! I've done quite a few from Cyprus and also Central
America till moving to Italy in 2002. Thanks to T70A I was again able to forget
work for a while and spend the weekend as yet another unique WPX multiplier. Due
to the total antenna farm gain of around 3.5 dBd on 20/15/10m, despite callsign
pile up booster, only good propagation would allow T70A to be SOAB HP
competitive.  From the claimed score, which is just below the last year EU
winner, I could only assume that propagation has improved over last year, but
on the way back, while talking to E73M, he was of the opinion that propagation
was actually worse. 9A1A comment was similar: 20m was really open only at the
very beginning and there was no USA opening on 15m on Saturday. That made my
"lousy" multiplier of  950 more realistic for the T70A antenna setup - there
was no  hardware (read aluminum) to open a "dedicated" path towards USA and JA
and allow coast-to-coast multipliers "harvest". Nevertheless, that did not
reduce that special feeling of being "part of the game".
A warning for SDR or hybrid type radio users: after 10 hours I turned off the
K3 and went for a short nap. To my surprise, I was unable to get it back due to
a weird "DSE 202" error. Luckily, my old Yaesu 990 was there as a back-up (wise
advice from a friend!) and I managed to finish the contest. By swapping radios,
Iâ??ve realized advantage of real front panel, with adequately spaced controls.
It would be nice if Elecraft would consider an optional remote head, with
larger controls, dedicated buttons etc â?" I am sure that would re-convince
skeptics who measure radio performance by its size.
Congratulations to 4O3A, 9A6XX for big scores despite weird conditions - I will
be monitoring TS category more closely this time.

SO1R
K3 (10 hrs),  FT 990 (26 hrs), Alpha 77.
160m: shortened vertical (21m).
80m: Inv L
40m: 1/4 wave GP.
20/15/10m: 7 el. Log Periodic @ 12m.

Contest         : CQ World Wide WPX Contest
Callsign        : T70A (E73A/9A3A op.)
Mode            : CW
Category        : Single Operator (SO)
Overlay         : Tribander/Single Element
Band(s)         : All bands (AB)
Class           : High Power (HP)
Zone/State/...  :
Locator         : JN63FW