[3830] WPX CW P40W(W2GD) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW P40W(W2GD) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 08:40:25 -0700

------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

P40W Station Description:  IC756Pro2, ACOM 2000A @ 1KW, Win-Test Software
Antennas: F12 C31XR @ 62', 160/80 Inv V @ 60 ft, Cushcraft 40M rotatable dipole
@ 68', 2 el 40M wire beam NW, 4 el 40M wire beam for EU @ 55', 3 el 80M wire
beam for EU @ 55', NE and NW beverages
Antennas NOT working for this contest:  F12 C4  @ 60â?? (bad feedline), 160M
vertical, dipole (broken lower ½ element), N/S and E/W beverages (missing wire
segments)

This event marked my 25th year of contesting from Aruba (about 80 visits in
total).  And as always there were unique challenges.

Arrived on Wednesday afternoon, giving me a day less prep time than normal
(P40W is definitely NOT your plug and play station - its more like setting up a
3A or 4A FD operation single-handed).

The game plan immediately changed when upon arrival when I found the shack A/C
unit was no longer working.  With daytime temperatures near 33C/90F and 85%
humidity, replacing the airco unit became PRIORITY ONE.  My ability to tolerate
the heat and humidity for an entire contest weekend has long passed.  So
precious station setup time would of necessity need to be reallocated on
Thursday to locate and purchase a new A/C unit.

Looking around the site, I also found the C31XR pointed 120 degrees from where
it was parked back in December after CQWW CW (possible rotator failure?), the
vines had taken full possession of the wires on the SW side of the 160/80
inverted V, and finally, the paths laboriously cut through the cactus just 6
months earlier for accessing the 800' NE beverage were again fully overgrown.
It makes me ponder the insanity of all of this and wouldnâ??t it make more
sense for me to rent one of those nice clean plug and play stations
somewhere....even go to the beach for a change?   Not a chance!

After 2.5 hours of effort (requiring  two tower climbs and some severe vine
destruction)  I had the 160/80 V operational.  In the process found a broken
u-bolt on the rotator mast clamp to be the source of the antenna misalignment.
What little daylight remained was used pruning thorn trees and cactus  that
blocked access to the NE and NW beverage feed points some 100 meters away.
Later had a most enjoyable dinner with Andy P49Y/AE6Y, a welcomed change of
pace and chance to discuss current propagation and operating stategy.

Thursday dawned with the sun blazing and not much wind.  Using a branch
trimmer, fought my way through the thorny mess to install the far end of the NE
beverage  but the effort was taking its toll on my nearly 62 year old body.  As
I neared the end of the NE beverage I felt physically terrible.  Not wanting to
take further risk (there was no one around to find me if I ran into real trouble
out in the bush, I headed back to the house (a 1200 foot seven minute walk) and
proceeded to down nearly a gallon of fluids....I'd become extremely dehydrated.
 Lesson learned....again, drink a quart an hour whether you think you need it or
not!  This also seemed like the perfect time to take a break from antenna work
and head to town in search of a new A/C unit (and enjoy the carâ??s A/C while
on the way).

Aruba isn't known for its centralized shopping areas (or bargain prices) so
four stores later I was most fortunate to find a new (reconditioned) A/C unit
at a fairly reasonable price by Aruban standards.  My most important priority
item was resolvedâ?¦..YES!

Get back to the house about 4 p.m.  Still have the 80M and 40M wire beams to
install, another task made very difficult by the out of control undergrowth and
obstructions.  By sundown the new A/C unit had been installed by my host in the
shack wall while Iâ??d completed about 90% of the wire antenna work before it
became too dark and unsafe to be roaming around in the cactus.  Fired up the
station and made about a dozen contacts Thursday evening on 80 and 40 to test
what antennas were functional, especially the beverages.  All seemed OK.
Reviewed a dayâ??s worth of PJ2 skimmer data posted by K8ND.  It was
interesting to see what Iâ??d missed not being on the air all day, particularly
the afternoon EU opening on 10M.

Friday morning got up at dawn to complete the remaining antenna installation
work.  The cooler morning temperatures helped things go quickly and I managed
to complete my list in about 3 hours before heading off to work on a rotator
replacement project at P49MR (one has to pay the bills).  Returned home early
enough to have a 3 hour nap before the bell.

My plan was to operate the first night exclusively on 40 and 80, maximizing six
point potential while in darkness, resisting the higher rates but less points
possible on 20M.  Conditions were somewhat noisy (QRN) but with the beverages
tolerable.  But the amplifier randomly faulted nearly a hundred times the first
few hours which slowed me down.  Eventually I found RF was getting back to amp
through the beverage antennas. Iâ??d forgotten to hook up the relay that
grounds the beverages in xmit (one of the little things that got missed not
having sufficient pre-contest on the air time test time).  Unfortunately it
took 5 hours before I figured out the problemâ?¦and the rate sheet reflects it.

Then at 0600 I discovered the rotator no longer turns.  Arrrgh.  Change out the
starting capacitor in the control box, but no joy.  Have three spare (but very
old) control boxes, the first two I swap in donâ??t work, but third does.  Lost
an hour doing this critical repair, which would fortunately be the last
equipment problem the remainder of the weekend.

Ended the first night with about 950 total contacts on 40 and 80, just about on
track with projections, before heading to 20M after sunrise.  Had worked a fair
number of JA, VK, and ZL on 40M.

The rate on 20M was good to EU, and I had no idea at this point things were so
dismal up in the states because of the solar storm that was in progress.  Made
what would turn out to be a critical strategy error taking an hour off time at
13z, but I needed a short rest at that point and figured 15 meters would be
good upon my return which was exactly the case. I checked WWV and saw the
elevated A and K numbers and thought about what might happen.  I've experienced
full SID events before while operating on Aruba.

The next 7 hours were all 15M, with good signals and rate from EU and USA.  I
heard 10M open to EU, but it seemed signals were weak.  Only logged DR1A to
test the waters and quickly returned to 15M.  But it was very clear the polar
paths were bad, no JA or other Asia the first afternoon on 15.

After two fairly poor hours on 20, headed back to 40M just before dark and had
some reasonable rate on 7001.  During the course of the evening ventured up to
80 for a few 30 minute sprints, which were quite productive, as the QRN level
had decreased significantly.  Kept at it until 0700Z, then took a long 6 hour
off time to sleep and recharge for the dash to the finish.

Awoke on schedule for a change â?" over the years my history of oversleeping
during breaks is legendary.  Still had about 4 hours of off time to get out of
the way.  After checking WWV again, thought it might be best to take the
remaining off time in the morning, hoping conditions would improve as the day
progressed, which ultimately turned out to be what occurred.

At about 1700z, heard W9RE blasting in at twenty of S9 on 10 meters â?¦ it was
off to the races on 10M for next five hours.  As they say there are no meters
like ten meters and with the rate averaging about 130/hour that was exactly the
place to be, with a nice mix of US an EU, and some occasionally very loud Z21
stations calling in.

Transitioned to 15M at 22Z and had a 141 hour (my third best hour all weekend)
and finished out the contest on 20 with a 133 hour (7th best), deciding it was
about the same point production Iâ??d have had if Iâ??d gone to 40M as
originally planned.  That final hour the pileup on 14002 was HUGE and almost
unmanageable, which made me think I probably overstayed on 10M and would have
been further ahead moving to 15 and 20 earlier.

When the final bell sounded, the numbers approximated my goals of 3800 QSOs,
1020 mults and 16M points, totals that would break the current S.A. record set
just last year.

But my sincerest congratulations go to John Laney, K4BAI for once again
piloting the PJ4A super station to an even higher SA record.  John fully
capitalized on the Bonaireâ??s new DXCC entity status and he didnâ??t make any
critical mistakes.  Bravo OM â?" great job as expected!

I also want to thank all of the operators who called in this weekend.  Itâ??s
always amazing to me how many contacts are made with stations sending a number
under 100, often under 10.  Thanks again guys, your participation makes this
contest one of the very best and your efforts should be recognized.

I thank my Aruban hosts for their tolerance of my radio contesting addiction
all of these years, to P43P for his continuing equipment support, and P49Y for
his pre and post contest analysis discussions and companionship.  And finally I
thank my significant other Elaine for her never ending support of my passion for
radiosporting.

Look forward to returning to P40W for CQWW PH and CW this fall.

73,

John, W2GD