[3830] ARRL June VHF NV4B/5 Single Op Port QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt4xa@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF NV4B/5 Single Op Port QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 05:42:56 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  135    88  Total Score = 11,880

Club:

Comments:

This was my first experience with QRP portable on VHF, and it went as well as
I'd hoped.  I operated Field Day-style (appropriately enough, given the time of
year) from Woodall Mountain, the highest point in Mississippi, at all of 806
feet AMSL.  It is, however, about 300 feet prominent.  This provided me several
opportunities to be an ambassador for amateur radio as a number of folks came by
during the weekend to visit the highpoint, and a few of them showed interest in
what I was doing.  One of them was a fellow broadcaster whom I had heard on the
air before, so it was great to meet him and introduce him to the amateur world.

I used my FT-817ND (about 3.5W on VHF) with my 2-element 6m Yagi & two stacked
2m squalos graciously lent to me by fellow VHF contester KU4IU. I had
originally planned to operate on 432 also, but I had a problem with the antenna
that I was going to use.

QRP can be a real challenge on VHF:  I was definitely not able to work
everything I heard, but I'd say I did at least work the majority of what I
heard.  I lost many QSOs to QSB, and that many more took several tries.  I
really appreciate the patience of everyone that strained to work me.  Despite
the simple set-up & low power, I still managed DX QSOs with C6, CO, PJ2,
VE2/3/5/7, VP5, XE, and YN.  W5ZN in AR was my best 2m DX at about 201 miles,
though I heard a 2m station in EM85.  Rovers worked were AL1VE/R (3) and
KK6MC/R (1).  AL1VE/R had great "ears."  I heard a few others, but they were
mostly S&P.

Unfortunately, my score won't count for the AL Contest Group aggregate score as
Woodall Mountain is about 5 miles outside of the club circle.  The only fellow
ACG'er I worked was NF4A, who had a booming signal on 6m CW.

I'll definitely try this again sometime, perhaps as a hilltopper in the
upcoming CQ VHF 'test!