[3830] ARRL June VHF VE4EAR Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF VE4EAR Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 07:15:49 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  404   167  Total Score = 67,468

Club:

Comments:

No matter how bad or good the coditions, don'tr we always want something better?
 Friday night before the contest, fantastic conditions with almost 300 contacts
made in just a few hours. Saturday was a different story of course.

Contest started flat with 6m dead. You could tell by the noise level that is
was close to opening but nothing happened. Finally late in the afternoon a few
signals appeared and it was finally game on. Very sporadic (go figure!)
openings to the SE US but I did manage to work a YN and VP5 for new DXCC and
did get called by a few XE stations.

Tip #1, it pays to check the DX window below .125!

Sudden;y about 02:30, someone shut the band off and it was over for the night.

Sunday was better for stateside contacts but no DX was heard. It was clear the
clouds were moving around rapidly and regions would pop open then suddenly
disappear. It literally was feast or famine with long periods of nothing but
static and others when the band sounded like 20m during sweepstakes.

Tip #2. Spread out during a contest, not everyone needs to call on .130 and
.135. Most peoples VFOs will spin up much farther, try it.

Tip #3.  processors work the same way on 6m as they do on HF, just because the
frequency is higher is no need to turn the processor up. There were many
signals well past the point of distortion and splattering up and down the band.
One station from k5 land was +/- 10 kHz and very loud.

The rotator got a good workout as I found Sunday we were right in the middle of
a double hop, east to west coast path. Results were we could work them both at
the ssame time, depending which way the beam was pointed.

Tip #4  If you live in the center of the country (US or Canada) an omni antenna
should be part of your antenna farm.

It was great hearing so many familiar calls. Lots of big name RTTY contesters
made the leap to 6m.

Thanks for all the Q's and fun. Hope to see everyone on July 1 for the RAC
Canada Contest.

73  Ed

5 elements on 6m at 58', 300W
5 elements on 2m at 60'  100W