[3830] ARRL June VHF K6XN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K6XN@ATT.NET
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K6XN Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:36:56 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  54     20  Total Score = 1,500

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I WAS UNABLE TO OPERATE THIS WEEKEND FROM MY CABIN UP IN THE Sierras in CM99 as
I usually do for this contest so I decided to simply experiment a little on 6M
from my Saratoga QTH in CM87. Murphy struck and I could not figure out why I
was having problems on 6M using my new SteppIr antenna system on 6M for the
first time. Thankfully Jim, K6LM, suggested that perhaps I had left in a low
pass filter in my feed line when I put up my new SteppIR. Jim was right!!
ARRRGGGHHH! Once I removed the 80dB low pass filter from my feed line (buried
under other coax and invisible without a major archaeological
dig) the 6M band finally came alive for me but by then most of the stations
were mainly beloved locals :-). I also had an intermittent connector which I
had to replace. I spent most of the contest off the air doing other things but
the last two hours of the contest I finally pulled my 902 MHz gear out of the
Jeep at the request of the W6YX team to make a 927.5 MHz contact with them and
I also  hooked up my antique over 25 years old VHF rigs: Icom IC-1271A, Icom
IC-271A and Icom IC-471A transceivers and attempted to give as many of the
deserving as I could contacts and multipliers in the last two hours of the
contest. I wish now I hadn't waited until the last two hours of the contest. My
better "contest"  VHF and UHF equipment are all still up at our cabin in the
Sierras but the old antique stuff still worked!!! :-) .
Thanks for all the fun guys and gals! I will be more active next time!! All in
all I probably only operated a total of 3 hours this time but it was fun and I
hope I helped improve the score  at least a little bit of all whom I worked.
73, Ted, K6XN