[3830] All Asian CW K1LT SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] All Asian CW K1LT SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 20:32:11 -0700
                    All Asian DX Contest, CW

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 11

  160:
   80:
   40:    8     7
   20:  102    69
   15:   60    49
   10:
-------------------
Total:  170   125  Total Score = 21,250

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Many have commented that conditions in in the US were not particularly
good.  However, propagation to me seemed great.  Maybe the upgrade
from verticals to a tribander made signals better.

The first evening was wiped out by nearby thunderstorms which made
even 15 meters too noisy.  The storms abated somewhat after a couple
of hours, so I did eventually make a few easy contacts the first
night, although the very weak stations were not yet audible.  I got up
at 0830Z to check out 40 meters and worked just a few JAs.  After 30
minutes, back to bed.  Got up again at 1100Z and tried 40 again.
Worked 2 JAs then moved to 20 and then 15 for a nice S&P session for 3
hours.  Both 20 and 15 were productive.

More storms were coming, so I had to go mow the 160 meter radial field
and the Beverage paths before everything got wet.  Didn't get back
until 2030Z and then it was S&P for a while, go check 160 for the TBDC
Summer edition, rinse, repeat.  Stopped the AA at 0000Z when the TBDC
really got going.

Came back at 0800Z again, but my personal condition was too sleepy to
seek stations, so I went away and came back for real at 1200Z.  On
this second day, 20 was somewhat quiet, but 15 really opened nicely
for about an hour, permitting a few contacts with the really "far" far
east.  Worked E2 and 9M2 for the first time for this station, and JT
and VU2 for nice multipliers.  JT5DX became an interesting propagation
indicator.  He stayed on the same frequency for quite some time, but
only surfaced once in a while after that one good hour.

After 15 settled back to "normal", the rest of the contest was spent
alternating household chores and tuning looking for new stations.  The
last few hours of the contest were plagued by thunderstorms again,
although not as bad as the first couple of hours.

It was fun!  Hope everybody LoTWs.

Equipment: K3, ETO 91B (thanks, K8ND).  X7 at 60 feet, quarter wave
vertical on 40 on the ground.

PS: Diversity mode on the K3 is great.  I use my Beverages to supply a
signal for the second receiver.  Interestingly, around 2200Z, the NW
Beverage starts hearing JA as well as the tribander.  After an hour or
so, the phenomenon goes away.