[3830] IARU WI2E SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, joseph.obrien@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] IARU WI2E SO CW LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 18:20:33 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: WI2E
Operator(s): WI2E
Station: WI2E

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: 8 - Bethlehem, PA
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:    5     0       3       0
   80:  163     0      14      13
   40:  268     0      20      28
   20:  355     0      25      37
   15:  133     0      13      18
   10:   20     0       6       1
-------------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Aggressive SO2R maximized the performance of the equipment here.  When 10M & 15M
didn't really happen (and with daytime 20M rates/counts lagging years prior), I
kept myself motivated by focusing on getting to 40M in the evening in the best
shape possible.  Then, it all seemed to come together with 20M open most of the
night for me, the K9AY loop bumping up the signal-to-noise ratio on 80M
meaningfully, and two radios going strong.  It also helped to work so many
familiar calls; after 2 AM EDT, it seemed like every third signal on the band
was a Thursday Night Contesting regular.

Rigs: K3, TS-940S

Antennas:
160M: quarter wavelength 80M inverted L with tuner - unsurprisingly, this works
poorly, especially in the summertime.

80M: quarter wavelength 80M inverted L (47 ft. vertical).  Recent antenna work
involved extending the vertical; it all paid off when I worked VK at my
sunrise.

40M: quarter wavelength 40M inverted L.  I had hoped this would be a phased
vertical array, but work intervened and didn't leave me time to do the job
right, so I put up my portable L (24 ft. vertical). This antenna never ceases
to amaze me given its simplicity and that I keep it stored out of sight most of
the time.

20M: switchable inverted Vs (apex at 45 ft.). The direction mattered often,
especially when there was any competition for the QSO. Presumably why hams like
yagis and rotators.

10M / 15M: dipole running NW to SE at 25 feet.  I think I did all I could with
this, but I need to figure out how to place the antenna higher in the trees; it
would also be nice to have an antenna with its main lobe pointed directly at
South America.

Receiving: two K9AY loops (half & quarter sized).

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs, especially those who dug deep into the noise
to pull my signal out! I'm still exhausted from that SO2R workout, but I had a
great time.

73,

Joe
WI2E