[3830] IARU N2WN SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU N2WN SO CW LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 04:33:46 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N2WN
Operator(s): N2WN
Station: N2WN

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: Grainger Co., Tn
Operating Time (hrs): 9:27

  160:
   80:   28             6       2
   40:  220            19      21
   20:  181            21      25
   15:   68            11       9
   10:    4             2
-------------------------------------

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

It started out OK, not great conditions. It went well for about two hours when
Murphy dropped in. My rotor froze pointing due North. OK, not the worst
position, but close. Decided to try to make a go of it. Of course, openings
were to the West, so I was SOL...

Well, do I try to change it now (had a spare on hand) in 95 degree heat high
humidity (very sunny versus storms). Of course, what else could I do?! I have
an AB-621g Military Mast, which is nice for a SO. I can do most of the work
myself, gathered up what I needed (tools, pseudo gin pole, ladder, water) and
down it came. Get it down and notice some "bald spots" on the Steppir elements,
the past year of storms has not been kind to the fiberglass. Not one to lose an
opportunity (OK so I'm not really in to taking this thing up and down), decide
to paint and seal the exposed spots while it's down. Had the acrylic paint on
hand too (sometimes it pays to be a pack-rat).

Got to the point of re-installing the antenna on the rotor and figured having
someone hold the ladder would be a great idea. I asked my wife Rita (who had
been canning squash relish, yet I digress), suggesting that if she didn't she
might have to find another husband. For some reason she wants to keep me
around, and she was a big help. We got it back together. Then back up in the
air with a bit of a struggle.

Seven hours have past. I looked like a bake lobster. I felt like a fried
tamale. Took a cold shower (felt GREEEEAT!), had a Landshark and dinner with
Rita, then headed back to the radio.

I had moved a 40m vertical (where it sat unloved swaying in the breeze) from a
distant spot closer to the shack. It's base is about 4' above ground and inches
from the neighbors barbed wire fence. It has two raised radials. I was very
happy with how it played, as I wasn't sure if two radials would do the job.

Many buddies worked, a number of new calls, and some folks missing...

Better luck next year I hope!

Stay cool fools...
73,
Julius