[3830] IARU ED5T(@EA5ELT) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU ED5T(@EA5ELT) M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 08:08:07 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: ED5T
Operator(s): EA5KV, EA5GS, EA5ON, EA5UF, EA5YI, EB5KT, EB5TC
Station: EA5ELT

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Torrent
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------------------------
Total:  369    2229   100      127  Total Score = 2,116,548

Club: Torrent Contest Club

Comments:

Last time we did this contest 2 years ago we set a fairly ambitious goal and
came quite close to reaching it. We decided to set the same goal this year, and
with improved hardware, two good CW ops, and supposedly better conditions,
should have been able to obtained our set goal.

Not so. Our QSO total was slightly down, and a marked descent in our multiplier
total. Part of that was due to very poor conditions on 10 and 15 on saturday
afternoon, but not making any QSOs on 160 is unpardonable and we were caught
out on 80 where high swr at the bottom of the band meant we were unable to try
to work "easy" mults as we could not get the antenna to tune even while
barefoot. Too many phone operators spoil the broth!

As a novelty this time we tried putting an operator roster in place but as we
might have expected this went by the board. You scribe was 4 hours late, for
example, and EA5KV and EA5GS, keen athletes, had a 10km run on saturday
afternoon. As usual we just took it as it came and more or less everyone got to
operate a reasonable amount.

We tried to get a bit more out of the mixed mode this year and our CW man EA5YI
had a great time. We were also able to count on another CW op Juan Carlos EA5UF
and hope he enjoyed his time with us.

As always, we got the thrill of the chase, the adrenalin of the run, the
anxious chasing of mults, some of them frustrating, some of them rewarding. The
search for a clear frequency, unexpected mults popping up when least expected
them, greeting old friends on the air...all the ingredients that make a big
contest a great event and leave you with the wish to come back for more next
year.

And as always, the fun on the sidelines. The constant joke cracking, keeping up
with the news of our lives, the food section (we must be worst in Spain in this
category!), plans for our home stations, plans for the club station, upcoming
contests, strategy, anecdotes...all in all, a great FUN weekend!

Talking of fun, there are always nice anecdotes. At 5 in the morning I was
sitting outside the bunker and saw 2 guys, obviously drunk out of their skulls,
walking along the street with bullfighting capes. 2 minutes later EB5KT arrived
and looked agitated as he got out of his car....."There are two guys out there
in the street, "toreando" the passing cars!!..."

Finally, and call me boring if you like, but our thank all of those who allow
this to happen, especially our families, the authorities that generously allow
us to use the premises at "La Colina Magica", and last but not least, all those
who contacted us. Without you, none of this would be possible.

CU in the next one!

73 de EA5ON on behalf of the ED5T team.

Equipment
FT2000