[3830] NAQP CW N5RZ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wb5aar@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW N5RZ Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 11:08:43 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: N5RZ
Operator(s): N5RZ
Station: N5RZ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   35    15
   80:   53    26
   40:  282    50
   20:  284    51
   15:   60    23
   10:   20    12
-------------------
Total:  734   177  Total Score = 129,918

Club:

Team: CTDXCC Fried Eggs

Comments:

Wow.   What a tough 10 hours.   Fun but frustrating.

10M & 15M sounded like they would be gangbusters 30 minutes before the contest
started, but fizzled shortly after 1800Z.  Couldn't get much going on either
band after the first 20 minutes.   20M was a struggle as well early on.

Took two 30 minute off times in the first 3 hours because condx were so bad.

Plugged away until 40M opened.   40M was one of the few success stories for me
in this one.  The rotary dipole @ 50' and beverages worked great.  Spent Friday
Morning & Saturday morning putting up the 580' beverages NE & NW.

For 160M I use my 80M inverted vee with long pigtails.  Was planning on putting
up a dedicated 80M inverted vee, but ran out of time, so decided to use the
Butternut HF6V on 80M.   It was good for 91/42 last August.   Bzzzzzt.  This
year it loaded up great, but resembled a dummy load.  Compounded by the fact I
could hear quite well with the beverages despite the nasty static crashes.

160M was not bad, just poor condx back to the east.

Thanks to those who QSY'ed to other bands.   Sri the moves didn't always work
out.

Was very exhausted at the end and slept for over 10 hours afterward.

Look forward to getting up some real antennas.  The heat & drought, along with
a brutal work schedule have curtailed the antenna/tower projects, but I have
seven tower bases & associated guy points staked out waiting for a backhoe &
concrete trucks.   Soon I hope!

Was very disappointed in the results.   I did this good last August with only
one radio, a single Butternut HF6V and no 160M antenna!

315 days (and counting) with no rain here in WTX, and closing in on over 60
days over 100 degrees this summer.  Anyone with some of these thunderstorms &
monsoons please ship them out this way.

Congrats to all on the great scores.

Thanks to all for the QSO's and CU in the next one.

Equipment:

Two Elecraft K3's
TH6DXX @ 50'
40M Rotary Dipole @ 50'