[3830] ARRL UHF K2DRH Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2drh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL UHF K2DRH Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 22:31:30 -0700
                    ARRL UHF Contest

Call: K2DRH
Operator(s): K2DRH
Station: K2DRH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN41vr IL
Operating Time (hrs):

  222:   51    29
  432:   53    28
  903:   31    22
  1.2:   44    26
  2.3:   22    18
  3.4:   12    11
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  213   134  Total Score = 156,780

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

The usual flurry of getting stuff ready and broken stuff fixed occupied the week
before the contest.  Amazingly it all came together and everything was working
pretty well except 902/3 which still didnâ??t hear as well I think it should.
Wonderful high pressure and thermal inversions yielded great tropo conditions
right up the day before the contest.  Of course the bands were pretty much
summer average for the contest.

The Rovers were out and I was able to track 5 of them in all the grids they
worked (plus a bonus rover that I donâ??t normally hear) on Saturday but lost
two of them completely on Sunday.  Only 3 had multiple SHF bands and I was able
to sweep one from 222-3456 from all the grids he visited, then almost sweep the
other two (missed a 3456 contact with one and a 2304 with the other due to them
being around 300 miles out and the conditions/terrain not cooperating at the
time).

Almost all of the rovers I work are at least 100 to 300 miles away and many are
very well equipped.  With good time schedules, favored operating frequencies and
6 digit grids published on the internet reflectors and spreadsheets before the
contest, they are a lot easier to hunt and find.  We consider 100 miles a chip
shot in the Midwest and run the bands on SSB.  Every once in a while (once
every couple of years) someone will come into my grid and Iâ??ll actually get
to work it on SHF!  Iâ??m still waiting for an EN41 3456 contact though.  While
none of them make specific skeds with me (unless itâ??s something like - come
back in 15mins Iâ??m band running stations in a different direction now), they
know the station can reach out to them, so they will look my way in every grid.
 I just have to be there when they do.

Itâ??s a good thing the Rovers were there because pretty much the only other
stations I worked were the 3 or more band stations.  Participation from the
single or 2 band ops seemed almost non existent.  The totals on 432 were way
down from a few years ago.  I usually work about twice as many stations on 432
as I do on 222 in an all band contest, and maybe a third as many on 1296.  Even
in the UHF a lot more 432 Qs go in the log than on 222. But this contest 222 and
432 were just about equal and 1296 was not that far behind!  Either more folks
are finally getting on 222 or only the better equipped stations are playing in
the UHF contest.

73 De Bob