[3830] WAE CW W1NN/8 Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] WAE CW W1NN/8 Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 05:13:40 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: W1NN/8
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:   10          32
   40:  125          87
   20:  337   530    82
   15:  106    48    66
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  578   578   267  Total Score = 308,652

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

The last serious effort I made in this contest was 15-20 years ago when I was
living in Connecticut.  What a difference doing this contest from Ohio -
especially with low antennas and low power!

15 was the big disappointment here.  I just couldn't get anyone to answer my
CQs and most of the time I had to repeat everything several times.  Midway
through the contest I noticed that the SWR on the antenna was high.  The K3
tuner brought it down but clearly something is wrong.  That probably cost me a
lot, although underlying condx were not very good.

QTCs are okay I guess but they really interfere with rate and frequently when
you find a new multiplier and are waiting to call him, he asks a station for
QTCs and you have to wait or go back to his frequency later.  I would much
rather be copying QTCs instead of only sending them.  The EU stations have all
the fun in this one.  It's not hard for a station in my league to get rid of
all his QTCs but given that the casual EU stations are not interested in QTCs
and that some EU stations simply refuse any QTCs at all, I can imagine that the
non-EU stations with 1500+ contacts really struggle to send all their QTCs.

Much fun.  Thanks to the sponsors and the participants!

73,  Hal W1NN
Medina, Ohio